000jjj.jpg

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff of Pa, Do you ever read any of these and scratch your head as to their authenticity? I don't mean that they weren't printed in a paper, but that they are just embellished stories or even outright stories of fiction for entertainment? The paper doesn't indicate that it's fiction, but clearly it is. Maybe it was the "click bait" of the time to help sell papers?

How would an Italian book printed in 1690, know that some 160+ years later in a country far away, a man in Boston would bury coins and even print a cipher/code as to where they would be buried? Those damn time travelers!

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff of Pa, Do you ever read any of these and scratch your head as to their authenticity? I don't mean that they weren't printed in a paper, but that they are just embellished stories or even outright stories of fiction for entertainment? The paper doesn't indicate that it's fiction, but clearly it is. Maybe it was the "click bait" of the time to help sell papers?

How would an Italian book printed in 1690, know that some 160+ years later in a country far away, a man in Boston would bury coins and even print a cipher/code as to where they would be buried? Those damn time travelers!

I Absolutely Believe this one.

Do you & samual read the stories, Or just try to debunk Them ?
? :tongue3:

How the Coded Message got in the Old Book is Obvious.
it was placed there between 1854 & 1882 by a Lighthouse Keeper.
Perhaps was His own Copy of the Old Italian Volume at that time.

Treasures :treasurechest: Do exist Ya Know :coffee2:

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Any book would suffice.
Some one added the "code" to the /a book.

Now , how Snow got to investigating the abandon house the book was in would be interesting , but seems related to the lighthouse keeper.
Then we'd want to know more about the "King" and why he put the code in a book. Though presumed for sake of having an accurate memory of the cache site's
precise location.

My big question is the "nine foot hole".
Was it nine feet across? Most likely.
Nine feet deep on a beach would have water seeping in through the sand after a short depth ,it would seem.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Noticed allot of these early Treasure Hunters Dug trenches, Hoping to eventually
hit the right spot :laughing7:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Absolutely Believe this one.

Do you & samual read the stories, Or just try to debunk Them ?
? :tongue3:

How the Coded Message got in the Old Book is Obvious.
it was placed there between 1854 & 1882 by a Lighthouse Keeper.
Perhaps was His own Copy of the Old Italian Volume at that time.

Treasures :treasurechest: Do exist Ya Know :coffee2:

I read everyone of them I find. It's just some of them are clearly fiction, but yet I notice older papers don't necessarily indicate as such. I do try to debunk ones I see that don't ad up or stray from facts. The best way to find real treasure is to stick to as much factual evidence as possible, otherwise you end up chasing ghosts. It's why ship treasures are so often found, they are rich in facts, not fairytales. Ship cargo manifests, route logs, insurance manifests, even surviving eyewitnesses sometimes.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Article says coins ranged from 1694 to 1854

Do you really think the Paper would have Printed that as Fact that they were Buried in the 1600's ?

Only on April 1st

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any book would suffice.
Some one added the "code" to the /a book.

Now , how Snow got to investigating the abandon house the book was in would be interesting , but seems related to the lighthouse keeper.
Then we'd want to know more about the "King" and why he put the code in a book. Though presumed for sake of having an accurate memory of the cache site's
precise location.

My big question is the "nine foot hole".
Was it nine feet across? Most likely.
Nine feet deep on a beach would have water seeping in through the sand after a short depth ,it would seem.

Yeah, I see now that the code was added. Still just about as implausible imo to find some abandoned book in an abandoned house, almost a 100 years later, that just happens to be the very book you were looking for with the secret code pricked in it, even on page 101 as the legend said it would be. Just my opinion it was the click bait of their time.

Last edited:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Article says coins ranged from 1694 to 1854

Do you really think the Paper would have Printed that as Fact that they were Buried in the 1600's ?

Only on April 1st

I think the paper indicates they were buried shortly after the last coin date, of 1854.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
& likely the same date the Coded map would have been Created.

I'm not one to Believe in Treasure Codes, But I do believe those who Make then do.

Last edited:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, please don't take my observation of this one story as being critical of you or the effort and research you put into finding these gems, I think we all really love them!

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just Feel your Obviously in Err here.
Yes I have posted a Few that seemed shaky to me.
I Probably even mentioned my Issues .

But your Original Hypothesis that the article suggested the Code to the Treasure was Created in the 1600's
Made me think You just wanna Argue .

giphy3.gif

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, I see now that the code was added. Still just about as implausible imo to find some abandoned book in an abandoned house, almost a 100 years later, that just happens to be the very book you were looking for with the secret code pricked in it, even on page 101 as the legend said it would be. Just my opinion it was the click bait of their time.

Click bait sells for sure.
Outside of John Nuskey ( note Key) , the reader is left to their own devices as to how Snow may have acquired the page #. (Treasure hunting 101.)

Old papers can turn up leads. As you mention , many fade in credibility fast though.
Any with too many details had hunters back then sniffing around any leads too.

Fun to read old accounts.
Even if we are following other potential sleuths on the rare catch/cache ; years later....

An oft recalled fail for me was probably in a paper as a nondescript note.

A semi recluse's home was razed by fire department practice well after he died. (An old gent living alone a ways out from the village.)
My interview with a fire department member (encountered during a detecting hunt near his firehouse...More than once) disclosed some charred paper fluttered down during the fire that upon closer scrutiny was found to be money.
Other research led to the former homestead owners losing most of his sight. Running a rope to barn like folks do/did during blizzard type conditions for his normal routine.
Other normal routine was his choice of hard cash vs notes in his smaller "change" from the bank. (When silver was still the realm) Which contrasts with the fluttering charred partial paper bills....(?)

Could he have cached some silver?
I added it to the thin box of other leads to poke at time to time.
Locating where the homestead had been located was next.
To make a long story short , and with visions of what to look for on the vague description of his layout I arrived at the site pre permission seeking.

Over the decades the new owner(s) had covered most of what should have been the site with an amazing variety of mostly disused agricultural equipment.
And livestock wandering among it. L.o.l.. No place for my wheelchair with any decent coverage.

Maybe I should have inquired as to actual site of burned house and potential site of previous barn. Just in case by some miricle it was way off in a corner or something. But it was not really a smokin (pun intended) lead either.

But , the simple mention of the fire department practice mentioned in a paper (I'm not saying that one was , I didn't look for it) could have been worth looking into.
IF the previous tenant's doin's were known by even one person in the know. Back then ,or today. Maybe.

Last edited:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just Feel your Obviously in Err here.
Yes I have posted a Few that seemed shaky to me.
I Probably even mentioned my Issues .

But your Original Hypothesis that the article suggested the Code to the Treasure was Created in the 1600's
Made me think You just wanna Argue .

View attachment 1798115

I just mis-read, missed the "pricked" into the page part. Mistakenly thought it was part of the book.

jude061

Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
E.R. Snow embellished quite a bit. He was a story teller first and foremost. There were nuggets of truth to his stories and he filled in the unknown with a great story. He details this find in one of his books. I’m skeptical by nature, and I believe this one. Somewhere, there is a photograph of the chest with the coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions