Treasure From 1522 Found

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
This is from a Utah newspaper, the Utah Daily Chronicle, Nov 25, 1931. Lost Coins Found. Did they have coins prior to the conquest?
Lost coins found.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Imagine the "worth" today. heh

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
This was a early Native Tribe. I see no reason for them to mint coins. Strange article the German's name is sort of odd too.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears the article doesn't actually claim he found the coins, it says, "Ernesto....has found what he believes to be the stronghold containing $25,000,000 worth of coins". It's another "Dent's Run Gold" type claim. We found the place where the gold is. Oh really, then where is the gold?

stronghold
[ˈstrôNGˌhōld]
NOUN. A place that has been fortified so as to protect it against attack.

So he found a castle where he believes the loot is contained. It's not clear he actually recovered any loot. Probably tore the crap out of that castle looking for it :-)

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
It appears the article doesn't actually claim he found the coins, it says, "Ernesto....has found what he believes to be the stronghold containing $25,000,000 worth of coins". It's another "Dent's Run Gold" type claim. We found the place where the gold is. Oh really, then where is the gold?

stronghold
[ˈstrôNGˌhōld]
NOUN. A place that has been fortified so as to protect it against attack.

So he found a castle where he believes the loot is contained. It's not clear he actually recovered any loot. Probably tore the crap out of that castle looking for it :-)

A Native American castle? Now that's equal to Dents Run Gold!

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Native American castle? Now that's equal to Dents Run Gold!

I'd guess Mayan or Aztec since it was in Mexico. Maybe more a pyramid :-)

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Type on Google the tribe, it existed and region named is correct.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
"Fake news". The first mint in Mexico (Mexico City) began coinage in 1536.
Therefore any Mexican coin treasure stories before that date--like this article are bogus.
And no, the Spanish did not ship huge quantities of coins to the New World.
Don.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I am quite sure material (articles) such as this are valuable pieces of the past. I just finished a Dobie book (Apache Gold and Yaqui Silver), pretty good source material for the Lost Adams mine at the back. That starts on page 357. Then I do have material for lost mines of California. I wonder how sales would be with a high population state.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fake news. One of the main currencies of the Mayan peoples was CHOCOLATE. The Aztecs did not use coins. None of the early Mezoamericans used coins. Aztecs did use a bronze/brass object called "hoe money", but they are not coin shaped.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
And hoe money is the correct answer. Answer was provided earlier in the day by a Facebook group (Utah Treasure Hunters). Some Mexico lost treasure articles are almost half a newspaper page.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
My information indicated Aztec jewelry was usually in the form of what I would call trinkets or decorative pieces, not bullon. IF anyone has further data, I would appreciate a link, thanks. New information is valuable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread