CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I have been reading a book of Jack London stories published in 1936 by Cupples & Leon Company of New York, Jack London's Stories for Boys. They are outdoor adventure stories, and although the title says For Boys, they are not for children, and are suitable for adults. Anyhow, I was reading the story All Gold Canyon (originally published in 1904), and it starts to sound familiar to me. It is about a lone prospector who stumbles into a small meadow by a stream, an idyllic spot, who starts to pan for gold. He finds a little in the water, but suspects that there is more in the slope ascending from a pool. He begins to plot out a triangular pattern that narrows as it raises into the ridge that slopes down to the water, and after a few days has a triangle of dug holes leading to what he calls "Mr. Pocket." It dawns on me that I have seen this acted out, and I remember that it is one of the six stories in the Coen Brothers Netflix movie, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. The movie changes a few things (in the story the prospector talks to himself, in the movie he talks to an owl) but in the main it is the same story.

So, question: what do you think are some of the best written stories about treasure hunting?

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I saw that one. My step son said I would like the Buster Scruggs short stories. He was wrong but that one was pretty good. The rest were awful. My opinion only.

OP
OP
CreakyDigger

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw that one. My step son said I would like the Buster Scruggs short stories. He was wrong but that one was pretty good. The rest were awful. My opinion only.

Yeah a few of the others were twisted, especially the side show freak story. I generally like the Coen Brothers movies and tv series, however.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread