Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well here goes... There is this...

I identified a bar (as silver) for a guy once... he lived in Clearwater... the bar was found in the Keys while fishing.
The story is as follows...
They were on vacation and brought boat etc... were fishing in backwaters... on west side of islands... back a ways... the tide was exceptionally low that day due to phase... whilst drift fishing they were nearing a mangrove patch... bow of boat nudged something... he quickly used push pole and while looking down saw a pile of "large LEAD ingots"... decided to grab one for a souvenir... brought it back to Clearwater where it sat on his dock for a very long time until someone saw it and said..."are you sure that's lead" ?

Fast forward... it was immediately confirmed as a silver loaf.
And they immediately formed a group and a plan and returned... more than once.

Could not find the spot again.

Not sure if that has ever changed... this was years ago.... at least 15.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Post #5 covers what is written in potters book....I made a photo of it in post#5. 😁
I guess that post never got read-seems to be the norm at times on threads-read the header-skip the content-write an opinion.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I identified a bar for a guy once... he lived in Clearwater... the bar was found in the Keys while fishing.
They were on vacation and brought boat etc... were fishing in backwaters... on west side of islands... back a ways... the tide was exceptionally low that day due to phase... whilst drift fishing they were nearing a mangrove patch... bow of boat nudged something... he quickly used push pole and while looking down saw a pile of "large LEAD ingots"... decided to grab one for a souvenir... brought it back to Clearwater where it sat on his dock for a very long time until someone saw it and said..."are you sure that's lead" ?

Yes....more than once I've herd stories and even seen bars recovered both here on this side of the gulf stream, and I've seen a boat come back from the bahamas with bars. One was a very famous charter boat captain. He is a part of a well known keys family, and I watched him unload 3 silver bars at the whale harbor docks....it was the first time I'd ever seen a silver bar in the wild and not behind glass or in a collection. That was 22 years ago !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start the video at the 16:45 mark and you will here the story of the silver bars on the channel key banks !!

And you will see one of the unmarked bars used as a door stop for years !!

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes....more than once I've herd stories and even seen bars recovered both here on this side of the gulf stream, and I've seen a boat come back from the bahamas with bars. One was a very famous charter boat captain. He is a part of a well known keys family, and I watched him unload 3 silver bars at the whale harbor docks....it was the first time I'd ever seen a silver bar in the wild and not behind glass or in a collection. That was 22 years ago !!
Hmmm, was that Skip?

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes... the loaf i saw was also unmarked.
I'll be looking....and hard !!
Just got a critical permission where I think 25000$ in gold coin was picked up in 1936 while laying old rt. 4 after the 1935 hurricane 🌀 disaster !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I identified a bar (as silver) for a guy once... he lived in Clearwater... the bar was found in the Keys while fishing.

I have been eyeing one particular patch of mangroves, and what I think happened is that survivors actually had a camp on channel cay.....after stacking supplies and treasure on the cay they realized they would die there for lack of water. Eventually they had to make a jury rigged raft to get to a bigger island with water/other survivors. I belive they were hauling silver bars on a raft and started losing some on the journey for survival. Just my own thoughts based on my on the ground observations + what's known and written !!

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post #5 covers what is written in potters book....I made a photo of it in post#5. 😁
Sorry Bart.. I only noticed your post after I had made mine.. I was so anxious to show my extensive knowledge..:D That I only checked the thread after the fact.

My apologies

Micheal

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched most of the way through twice. Looks like it will be a good thing for starting new research.

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one in a book somewhere.....that story has many versions....some take place in the bahamas and some take place in the keys. For years that story has been told down here in the keys and relates to a certain bank near a certain key....I've never looked, but I know the bank or flat that one version of the story supposedly took place. There is a galleon near by and its on the list to check out....coins and treasure have been found by others near by in the past. I was under the impression that this is just a story but other treasure found nearby has me now willing to check this story out. Phipps...you've been with me very close to the bank in the keys version of the story....next time we'll stop and look.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions