Barton

Apr 21, 2005
Abiquiu, NM
Detector(s) used
What ever is needed for the project I am working on--I am a cache hunter
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Depth of a Spanish Cache---#1518 to Bonuntr

You should expect the buried depth to be about 6 feet. Occasionally if they were gung ho--it was the depth of a pike about 9 feet. To detect such a deep target your wasting your time unless you use a Pulse induction metal detector with a one meter by one meter search coil.

I am NOT speaking about Spanish mine shafts or tunnels--just buried caches in normal ground.

The deepest I have ever heard of--which I reliably believe to be accurate--where a cache was recovered was 24 feet. That hole was dug by hand by two men.!!

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Hey everyone....

By the way, there are no wrong answers, as this is not a test, I need everyone's input!

View attachment 998936

Thank goodness there will not be a test. Bonunhunter, I do not follow or search KGC, but sometimes I "think" I see KGC signs.

There is this one place I believe KGC had a hand in. There was a tree carving that left no doubt, and some other things that indicated KGC had been there.

Now if your site is kgc, I noticed at my site there were rock and stump signs placed around the base of trees. Your blaze reminds me of a shield (or acorn but unlikely.) There was a clearly stacked pile of mostly red rocks, with a few black and whitish ones.

At my site there was the "shield" this one in rock, and perhaps 50-80 feet away a heart carved in a tree. I think my "shield" has map info on it. Your shield done on a tree has an arrow for map info.
shield.jpg treehearttwo.jpg

I'm not sure my shield is associated with KGC, but it was in the KGC/spanish site.

Some of your carvings look newer too. Not 200 years old :) Sometimes the older carvings are found on high, sometimes not..depending how quickly the tree grows.

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Hi Guys, I was curious if anyone else has any input/insight on my post, #1526. Since I am new to this egg hunt any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
cpowell

Generally speaking, if one end or ear or wing or line or shadow is longer, go or look that way. Not always.

The owl rock looks to have other shadow/sun info on it if it were a better time of day. The owl rock itself may be a rounded triangle shape. Stand by it on each side, and look across it to see if it lines up with something else.I would not be surprised if you saw a similar shaped rock not too far. Mapping the local area rocks would be helpful in this case, I suspect.

The rounded shrine I doubt is a shrine. For sure it has some meaning, or perhaps if there are ridges around, it would light up and be visible from a distance atop a ridge.

You might study the bottom of the elephant rock along the ground line. There could be confirming/redundant info there. A different time of day will help. In particular, check to see if a rayed half circle shows up..I can not tell for sure from the pic.

Nice job on the photos and description. you are doing fine.

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
In this picture I see a lions face on the upper left peak, its nose has a line that extends down and cuts through a whales tail. The whales eye in to the lower right of the rock, (sorry, I am still working on drawing on the pics). I have read that the line drawn through the whales tail is a direction indicator. Has anyone found this to be true? Since I am new to this I am interested in any thoughts of where to go next with it.
View attachment 1004719

Here is another pic that is next to the elephant monument, I believe this a winged calf/St. Luke. What I have read is that this only is seen in a yard or treasure site.
Anyone find this to be the case?
And do you think I am on the right track?
View attachment 1004723
Nice catch on the winged calf!
I think you are on the right track. I'm not as experienced as others though :) Elephants do not always mean a long distance. Yours strikes me as getting up, laying down or foundering. Not particularly resting..I don't think they rest that way. Size does not matter, stance does. As a side note, for everyone, Elephant could be a Spanish pun...look into chess.

Your bear rock in front of the owl rock does not look much like a bear to me. To me it resembles a whale with open mouth, tail up.

The back of your elephant tends to look like a bear to me..head to our right. That's the way some natives do them.

I guess if it were me, I would look around a bit, then shoot lines from the rocks. Also look for numbers and letters. There has to be at least 2 or 3 trails leaving from this spot, perhaps 2 of them short. There should be a campground around too.

If you can find and recognize all the info here, great. I get the sense there is a lot of info here that tells you what do to, but I do not know what it all means.

Otherwise spend some time looking around in a planned way..following possibly short trails and lines over/across rocks. If a yard usually there are rabbits around. Snakes too. Pay attention to mouths on animals. Are they open, or are they stuffed with something, like a block of rock or a rock ball.

If you measure angles. don't forget that shrine.

From what i see, you are in a good spot.

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
I believe a blind corner is a "assumed" one. There may be no visible markings there. You figure it from the two corners you know. - Dsty.

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
Ground0, a blind corner in my world means for instance two other indicators that may be a 1/2 mile apart and point to a line where they cross in the field, if you draw 2 dots on a piece of paper 3" apart and your desire is to make a triangle out of it find the point where the lines cross, that's a blind corner or that's my guess. Kim said the same thing I just used more words,

Last edited:

salsa84

Jul 22, 2013
Found this vase and have been unable to find information on it.

Attachments

• image-3092880260.jpg
    image-3092880260.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 126
  • image-572334.jpg
    image-572334.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 121

heartquest

Dec 22, 2010
Hi all,
As we make our way through the bewildering stone zoo on this site, it occurred to me I have neglected our rabbits. We have lots of trail bunnies. Some are little and some big. We have one bunny in the talons of an owl. Does anyone know about rabbits, their significance, or can you refer me to a previous discussion on bunnies?
TrailBunny.jpg TrailBunny2.jpg TrailBunny3.jpg

bob632

Banned
Nov 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"rabbits" are supposedly markers for air shafts it's an old mining term that goes waaaaaay back.

Julio-Claudian Building Programs: A Quantitative Study in Political Management - M. K. Thornton, R. L. Thornton - Google Books

Julio-Claudian Building Programs: A Quantitative Study in Political Management - M. K. Thornton, R. L. Thornton - Google Books

Compressed Air - Google Books

they are generally filled with debris all the way back to the main shaft and will take several years to dig them out.....if you have any success let these spanish treasure hunters know.....it will make their day.

watch out for little people:laughing7:

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Hi all,
As we make our way through the bewildering stone zoo on this site, it occurred to me I have neglected our rabbits. We have lots of trail bunnies. Some are little and some big. We have one bunny in the talons of an owl. Does anyone know about rabbits, their significance, or can you refer me to a previous discussion on bunnies?
View attachment 1016076 View attachment 1016081 View attachment 1016082

Here's a link, Heartquest.

The Lady of the Hare: Being a Study of the Healing Power of Dreams - John Layard - Google Books

I'm gonna post this on my Artemis thread too.

You have so many things at your site that you might want to think of it as an archeological site instead of a treasure site. You might also want to look for some type of astronomical theme at your spot.

heartquest

Dec 22, 2010
Mdog I think we may have found the shaft...isn't that cool?? Empty... oh well...but at least it may be finally solved. It is 30 feet deep and several feet wide, and up on the ridge. Yes, as an archaeological site, it has been fascinating and lots and lots of fun. I am an artist, painter and sculptor, and animals are my favorite subject. So every time I find a new critter, I have a hard time sleeping at night because of how thrilled I am. At first glance these bunnies are very crude, but as you stare, the anatomy and accuracy seems to unfold before your eyes....and you know these were talented capable sculptors. That is how it is with all of the animals, whether they are literal or symbolic, or whatever degree in between, they all show love for anatomy and knowledge of the animal. Anyway, the shaft was found offsite by the owner of the property adjacent to this site, who we had contacted and informed since a lot of the photos are from his land. We haven't seen it yet, just got the news yesterday.... but you can bet we'll post photos.

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Mdog I think we may have found the shaft...isn't that cool?? Empty... oh well...but at least it may be finally solved. It is 30 feet deep and several feet wide, and up on the ridge. Yes, as an archaeological site, it has been fascinating and lots and lots of fun. I am an artist, painter and sculptor, and animals are my favorite subject. So every time I find a new critter, I have a hard time sleeping at night because of how thrilled I am. At first glance these bunnies are very crude, but as you stare, the anatomy and accuracy seems to unfold before your eyes....and you know these were talented capable sculptors. That is how it is with all of the animals, whether they are literal or symbolic, or whatever degree in between, they all show love for anatomy and knowledge of the animal. Anyway, the shaft was found offsite by the owner of the property adjacent to this site, who we had contacted and informed since a lot of the photos are from his land. We haven't seen it yet, just got the news yesterday.... but you can bet we'll post photos.

That's good news. Maybe you can backtrack from the shaft and figure out how your site was setup. :hello2:

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
Heartquest, one that I found was headed west sitting as a profile with ears laid back and was within 300 feet of an old hand dug hole it was also a corner marker 6 ft high ,7 ft 7 inches deep, another one was sitting on its rear it was about knee high with its ears laid back, even tho it was looking looking across the Red River the direction ( because of the way it was sitting follow the ears east ) west of Waurika Okla. I think that because something that' s small something is nearby. My thought's about an owl is they have Good eyesight, they see good in the shadows / dark, look good ,

wannadig

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rangler said: regular quint 5'9" [6 feet] or extra valuable then double that [12feet]
learned that the hard way in old Mexico in '96...rangler

That is what I was taught too, 5' 9" was the height of the King of Spain and that's how deep he made the law for treasure to be buried, However, if it was a large treasure it was to be buried twice that deep 11'6", as you can see he rounded up to 6 feet and 12 feet that is also what I do for this reason: it has been hundreds of years since the Spaniards were here, rain and settling may have drifted over the cache spot or if your lucky washed some soil off the cache spot.
Now how do you know if it is a large cache and to go two times the depth? I have not learned that and wish someone would tell us more than I know. Here is what I know, if it is an owl that I get the distance to the dig from, then I would dig 6 feet. If it a an owl who sides are bulging out (a fat owl) then I would dig 12 feet. Here is another thing: If it is a large cache, then I was told the distance would be double and the dig would be double, for example if a fat owl is present and gives the azimuth, then the owl being = to the number 31 = 31 varas, that would mean I would have to go 62 varas on the azimuth indicated and dig 12 feet. Can someone confirm if there is a sign to double the distance other than the number 8 being used in the last step?

wannadig

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread