Treasure of Lima

SeekFortuna

Greenie
Nov 8, 2021
Lenexa, KS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone! New here, and not sure if this treasure legend has already been posted, but I figured I would post it anyways!

This is one that has captivated me over the years. It is actually one that kind of re-introduced me to my adventurous and curious self. Since I am new here, If figured I would let you know that I love my pirate and age of exploration history. Whereas this story takes place outside of what they call "The Golden Age of Piracy" it is still a fantastic legend of a great pirate treasure haul.

In 1820, after a couple hundred years of controlling Peru, the Spanish were under heavy pressure from Native South Americans who were getting wary of the Spanish and their control. Eventually, the city of Lima had to be evacuated. When it did, the Spanish had to transport their riches to Mexico as a safe haven. This treasure, which is include gemstones, gold, statues of the Virgin Mary and the baby Jesus, is valued at $12-$60 million.

Under the command of Captain William Thompson of the Mary Dear, the hoard was on its way to Mexico...or so they thought. It seemed that Captain Thompson and his crew turned pirate and took the loot for themselves. They stopped at Cocos Island off the coast of Costa Rica to lay low. While they were there, they buried the treasure somewhere on the island.

After eventually getting caught, all but Captain Thompson and his first mate were executed. They promised to take the Spanish back to Cocos Island and show them the treasure. Well, they ended up escaping into the wilderness. They, as well as the treasure, were never seen again...

-Captain Kirky

Attachments

• Treasure of Lima.jpg
    Treasure of Lima.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

Dallon426

Aug 3, 2022
I'm the great great grandson of James Alexander Forbes. My grandfather and great grandfather amidst other crew members went searching for the treasure. I was told they found a few gold coins. Now it's prohibited to dig for treasure on the island. I've also heard that the costs Rican government might have retrieved it. Not sure...

freeman

Apr 5, 2003
I'm the great great grandson of James Alexander Forbes. My grandfather and great grandfather amidst other crew members went searching for the treasure. I was told they found a few gold coins. Now it's prohibited to dig for treasure on the island. I've also heard that the costs Rican government might have retrieved it. Not sure...
Can you tell me about the 'treasure map' that your family had? I read about it and have an image. It was supposedly notarised at one time to date it but the details were vague on when this occurred or how old the map allegedly was.

Dallon426

Aug 3, 2022
Can you tell me about the 'treasure map' that your family had? I read about it and have an image. It was supposedly notarised at one time to date it but the details were vague on when this occurred or how old the map allegedly was.
I wish I could tell you more. I haven't seen it. It's now not in our families hands. My great grandfather had it. And he went looking for it with his son. My grandfather. Charles Forbes

freeman

Apr 5, 2003
And none of those details are known to you? Ask your family then. Also ask who has the map now.

I mean I got a photo of it so I know......

Dallon426

Aug 3, 2022
And none of those details are known to you? Ask your family then. Also ask who has the map now.

I mean I got a photo of it so I know......
My grandfather died a few months ago.
I've tried to reach other people who might have the whereabouts. But so far nothing has turned up. I know that there was a company who was looking for the treasure and they were in contact with us. I will have to find the documentary. It used to be online. I looked but haven't seen it in a few years. I'll keep digging. Pardon the pun! Hah

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread