Treasure or Trouble

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Assuming the story is true, the founder obviously asked the ownership question up-front and was told he gets nothing. So, he told them, "Since I get 0% for showing you where it is, you get 100% of nothing!" Don't blame him!

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like he should have talked to the US Army and made a deal. He obviously didn't talk to the right people and then took the gold bars, melted them down into small buttons, then laundered them legally more or less by selling them at spot and paying the taxes on them... right?
I know a guy that found a Wells Fargo chest full of coins that got the same answer from Wells Fargo. He lived happily ever after also :laughing7:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He also could have sold the info to a third party, that way he would have plausible deniability.
Like many found treasures, silence is GOLDEN!

GG~

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Treasureman25

May 30, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Mxt pro, coinmaster gt, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These types of things get me revved up... should be finders keepers losers weepers!!... if governments want their flipping treasures back then why don’t they have people working full time to recover them? ? Or maybe they do?? Idk.. either or in my opinion if you find whatever you should be able to do with it as you wish...greed is so disgusting

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought treasure and trouble meant the same thing.

They can be one in the same.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These types of things get me revved up... should be finders keepers losers weepers... if governments want their flipping treasures back then why don’t they have people working full time to recover them? ? Or maybe they do?? Idk.. either or in my opinion if you find whatever you should be able to do with it as you wish...greed is so disgusting

And the article states that the cave is located on public land...

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is suspect most of these treasures were very worth finding by the Gov't long-ago. Thus he is not being truthful, it isn't there.

OP
OP
B

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Considering this was located on public land, could a claim be filed giving the claimant ownership to the minerals?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Considering this was located on public land, could a claim be filed giving the claimant ownership to the minerals?

Short answer is NO!

Undiscovered raw minerals are one thing, but once gold has left the ground and has had ownership as well as historical significance different rules/laws apply.
Click here: The Antiquities Act of 1906

GG~

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread