Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
This time of year, treasure can be found by eye in large parking lots, that have seen snow.

Look for where the large piles of snow were, after they melt treasures can be found.

Rings, and other valuables are dropped quietly in the slush, and pushed onto the piles.

Good Luck, post some pics.
I note areas snow is moved to when piles get too big in a nearby village and hit them now and then after thaw. Some areas are far removed from "normal " snow pile areas..
A hard life for items pushed and ground...
I get the usual reminder though that phones and other items are in those areas when we go shopping. She don't hunt them areas , but understands the logic...

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a great idea. I've found coins and paper money that way. Also, in warmer weather, the fences around parking lots collect material, depending on which way the wind blows.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always check the edges where the snow is melting away, as I'm walking to and from a store. It is a good idea.

Armstrong

Apr 24, 2020
Jurassic Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One parking lot by me pushed all the snow to one area this year. Usually it's broken up into 3 or 4 piles. This year it was one mountain probably 15 to 20 feet high. Temps in the 70s this weekend might reduce the pile to a searchable size.

Riverbum

Jul 13, 2011
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live near a ski resort that hauls its excess snow to a Lot and piles it high...every years around Late April, springtime, as it starts melting, I-phone, ring, even wallets,Jewerly, Loose Change ( found $27.00 in change there last year) can be found around the melting hill. When the slopes melt the runs underneath the Chairs Lifts there's a lot of lost watches, ski equpiment(Smaller items), Loose Change and "illegal substances" unfortunatley. The Metal Detector is perfect for this hunting.

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I noticed a guy detecting snow pile last winter and went over to talk to him. He was a tweeker with a cheap rig but he told me he found hundreds of dollars worth of jewelry, coins, wallets, cash in metallic cash holders, phones, and lots of trash. He said the electronic devices are easy to sell. He mentioned he would come back every few days as the pile melted down and crawl to the top and detect his way down. I guess he found it productive since he bought the detector and it pays to support his habit. I'm gonna start detecting that area now, why wait till spring...

john845

Dec 26, 2017
Newburgh ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Class III SL. Spectrum xlt Tesoro Vaquero Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been checking them for years I found a gold earring about ten years ago and paper money.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a younger man, I would walk the ditches around large mall parking lots in the spring. Cold, windy, winter days would take the folding money from shopper's hands and BLOW it through the lot to the ditches. Snow would then cover it until spring. VERY lucrative! My brother would walk the playgrounds at school to find change every day on the snow. Red rover, red rover let Johnny come over! They were all losing change! ╦╦ç

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cold, windy, winter days would take the folding money from shopper's hands and BLOW it through the lot to the ditches. Snow would then cover it until spring. VERY lucrative!
That's a good idea. Though these days, there aren't that many people shopping with cash anymore. It's all credit cards and debit cards.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a younger man, I would walk the ditches around large mall parking lots in the spring. Cold, windy, winter days would take the folding money from shopper's hands and BLOW it through the lot to the ditches. Snow would then cover it until spring. VERY lucrative! My brother would walk the playgrounds at school to find change every day on the snow. Red rover, red rover let Johnny come over! They were all losing change! ╦╦ç
"Red Rover, Red Rover"...now you are dating yourself Marine!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Red Rover, Red Rover"...now you are dating yourself Marine!
I approached a Navy dude in a Walmart Parking lot. I told him I tried to join the Navy but I could read. He came right back at me in a HEART BEAT and said he tried to join the Marine Corps but his parents were married! True story. ╦╦ç

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I approached a Navy dude in a Walmart Parking lot. I told him I tried to join the Navy but I could read. He came right back at me in a HEART BEAT and said he tried to join the Marine Corps but his parents were married! True story. ╦╦ç
Classic!

I had a contractor working at my house who had been a Marine and I said..."you know the Marines are a part of the Dept of the Navy" and he came right back with, "Yeah, the Men's Dept!" :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread