Treasure story - From the 1960's

Kevin255

May 9, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid, my mom and dad knew this older couple. The man was raised in Cumberland Gap, Tennessee. (another interesting story). He told this story of a man that lived in an old house not far from us on a ridge. This was back in the 1940's (house was still standing when I was growing up). His story goes that this old man would disappear months at a time. He would come back with a bag of old gold coins. The one telling the story said he had seen the coins and knew the man well. This man would go somewhere into the Smoky Mountains (south of us) and return with a bag of coins. He said it was "Indian Gold!" I always thought it was a story made up to 'entertain me.'

I've always thought the Indians (Cherokee) would never have gold. It was said to have been hidden in a cave? Being interested in old tales - the fact the Civil War was fought in my area, I wondered if the source of this mystery bag of coins could have been Confederate Gold? I know of stories of caches of money being buried by the Knights of the Golden Circle (KGC). I wish I had paid more attention to his story and asked more questions. Where I lived - at the base of a ridge, near the older couple, there were a lot of huge holes dug. Growing up I would explore the ridge. When I asked the older man what the holes were for, his answer they were hole (pits) dug by treasure hunters.

I think there are a lot of treasure locations in the area I lived, from the Civil War and even older (maybe Spanish?) Gold was mined in the 1800s in the Tellico Mountains (Coker Creek) to the south of where I lived. I no longer live in that area, but am fascinated by Confederate Gold legends. In fact I have gotten back reading about such stories - Bought me a new Metal Detector. Need a partner for adventure. The Confederate Treasury out of Richmond came through my area at the end of the war.

Anyone else hear of these stories growing up?

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid, my mom and dad knew this older couple. The man was raised in Cumberland Gap, Tennessee. (another interesting story). He told this story of a man that lived in an old house not far from us on a ridge. This was back in the 1940's (house was still standing when I was growing up). His story goes that this old man would disappear months at a time. He would come back with a bag of old gold coins. The one telling the story said he had seen the coins and knew the man well. This man would go somewhere into the Smoky Mountains (south of us) and return with a bag of coins. He said it was "Indian Gold!" I always thought it was a story made up to 'entertain me.'

I've always thought the Indians (Cherokee) would never have gold. It was said to have been hidden in a cave? Being interested in old tales - the fact the Civil War was fought in my area, I wondered if the source of this mystery bag of coins could have been Confederate Gold? I know of stories of caches of money being buried by the Knights of the Golden Circle (KGC). I wish I had paid more attention to his story and asked more questions. Where I lived - at the base of a ridge, near the older couple, there were a lot of huge holes dug. Growing up I would explore the ridge. When I asked the older man what the holes were for, his answer they were hole (pits) dug by treasure hunters.

I think there are a lot of treasure locations in the area I lived, from the Civil War and even older (maybe Spanish?) Gold was mined in the 1800s in the Tellico Mountains (Coker Creek) to the south of where I lived. I no longer live in that area, but am fascinated by Confederate Gold legends. In fact I have gotten back reading about such stories - Bought me a new Metal Detector. Need a partner for adventure. The Confederate Treasury out of Richmond came through my area at the end of the war.

Great story! Too bad he never let you tag along to go help him carry the bag. I’ve heard a lot of tales of the KGC treasure caches and sentry caches. It just doesn’t add up to me. Why would you guard the caches when you could just have easily looted them?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Some treaties involved payments.
https://www.firstpeople.us/FP-Html-Treaties/TreatyWithTheCherokee1835a.html

Another mention of funds.
The Cherokee compile a census to distribute per capita funds related to recent land sales. The census does not include those Freedmen who had never left, claiming that the 1866 treaty with the US granted civil and political rights to Cherokee Freedmen, but not the right to share in tribal assets. Principal Chief Dennis Wolf Bushyhead opposes the exclusion of Cherokee Freedmen from distribution of assets, but is overridden by the Cherokee National Council. The Cherokee senate votes to deny citizenship to Freedmen who failed to comply with the 1866 treaty by returning to the Cherokee Nation within six months.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kevin255

May 9, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thank you all for your responses.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Kevin255, why are the IP address in your sig line

Screenshot 2021-05-17 at 12.15.06 AM.png

prospexican

Nov 28, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gemini-3 best expert.
gpx 5000, fisher 2 box, whites sierra madre, eagle ll w big foot, gold bug, GMT, MD-5008, Detectron 2 box. etc. metrotech 480, and ferromagnetic magnetometer FX-3. fisher CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cuando era niño, mi mamá y mi papá conocían a esta pareja mayor. El hombre se crió en Cumberland Gap, Tennessee. (otra historia interesante). Contó la historia de un hombre que vivía en una casa vieja no muy lejos de nosotros en una loma. Esto fue en la década de 1940 (la casa todavía estaba en pie cuando yo crecía). Su historia cuenta que este anciano desaparecía meses a la vez. Regresaría con una bolsa de monedas de oro viejas. El que cuenta la historia dijo que había visto las monedas y que conocía bien al hombre. Este hombre iría a algún lugar de las Montañas Humeantes (al sur de nosotros) y regresaría con una bolsa de monedas. ¡Dijo que era "Indian Gold!" Siempre pensé que era una historia creada para 'entretenerme'.

Siempre pensé que los indios (Cherokee) nunca tendrían oro. ¿Se dijo que estaba escondido en una cueva? Al estar interesado en historias antiguas, el hecho de que la Guerra Civil se libró en mi área, me preguntaba si la fuente de esta misteriosa bolsa de monedas podría haber sido el oro confederado. Sé de historias de escondites de dinero que fueron enterrados por los Caballeros del Círculo Dorado (KGC). Ojalá hubiera prestado más atención a su historia y hubiera hecho más preguntas. Donde vivía, en la base de una cresta, cerca de la pareja mayor, había muchos agujeros enormes cavados. Al crecer, exploraría la cresta. Cuando le pregunté al hombre mayor para qué eran los agujeros, su respuesta eran agujeros (hoyos) cavados por buscadores de tesoros.

Creo que hay muchas ubicaciones de tesoros en el área donde viví, desde la Guerra Civil e incluso más antiguas (¿quizás españolas?) El oro se extrajo en el siglo XIX en las montañas Tellico (Coker Creek) al sur de donde yo vivía. Ya no vivo en esa zona, pero me fascinan las leyendas del oro confederado. De hecho, he vuelto a leer sobre esas historias. Me compré un nuevo detector de metales. Necesito un compañero para la aventura. El Tesoro Confederado de Richmond pasó por mi área al final de la guerra.

¿Alguien más ha oído hablar de estas historias mientras crecía?
wre you at?

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hells bells,if you have permission get out there and see what you find.Never say never,remember,he who laughs last laughs best!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread