Trev's Beach Box, Gravety Well Sluice.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• Trev's_Beach_Box.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 137
Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
That article brings back a lot of memories of Trev! He was up in Alaska with a friend prior to the 2007 NWMiners Rally and stopped by to visit with us during the rally and one night we went out howling! It was a LOT of fun!!

standard8

Jul 17, 2015
Seattle Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I did read Trev`s writing studied his pictures and was inspired to build the above contraption. But have not tried it out at the beach or even with real sand going thru it. I do like the water flow in it...

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks good.... SO...
Well when Ya gonna get some dirt run through it?...
What are you using for the matting?

standard8

Jul 17, 2015
Seattle Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still have a few more changes to make.. Maybe a near complete re do. The Green mat is veranda carpet. Need to get more of that stuff. Not sure about when it will get a sea trial.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just thinking out loud here...."What if I doubled or tripled the number of, as Trev calls them, "gravity columns" but still have the sluice the same total length? After all the gold is noted (and shown on some online pictures) to drop out first so why not have more of them? Each one should work their magic to some extent."

Per the above, most who use gold cubes on the beach use four or more trays so maybe, just maybe your unit set up as per my thoughts could equal their recovery rate(?). I have thought often about doing this but normally prospect Oregon beaches...no power allowed...and gave up because streams do not have enough drop to operate so gave up. This gives me more inspiration since I now have started working at Cape Disappointment.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is the only problem with that......
You would have to add more catchment area to compensate for the space the gravity well took up.
As you can see both the top tray and second tray are capturing gold clear to the end of the tray.

fullsizeoutput_17c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_178.jpeg

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's because you filled all the riffles with gold just like filling them with black sand in a slow flow sluice.:laughing7:

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That's because you filled all the riffles with gold just like filling them with black sand in a slow flow sluice.:laughing7:

What a terrible problem to have.... Has never seemed to be one of mine though....:laughing7:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trev was a hoot indeed, loved that mailbox dredge also as ez to run with smaller engines and compact. Miss you too Russau-I'll even drink to that trip in DC WY....John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread