Trip to Belize

doctari61

Apr 17, 2022
Hello all!

I'm planning a dive trip to Belize this summer. I would like to take an underwater metal detector and do a little searching, but I've read that the government doesn't allow it and that all dive trips have to have a guide. If anyone could shed some light on this I would really appreciate it. Could I hire a boat/captain that would allow me to do this? Any recommendations would help.

Thanks!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to Treasurenet . Good luck with your dive to Belize. I am sure there are people on here thAT will chime in

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Belize is a beautiful country but very poor & crime is high. I know nothing about your questions but use caution and common sense while there.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello all!

I'm planning a dive trip to Belize this summer. I would like to take an underwater metal detector and do a little searching, but I've read that the government doesn't allow it and that all dive trips have to have a guide. If anyone could shed some light on this I would really appreciate it. Could I hire a boat/captain that would allow me to do this? Any recommendations would help.

Thanks!
I have tried researching the metal detecting laws for Belize. I didn’t find anything against it, only that should you find anything, artifacts/treasure, it is law that it must be turned into the government. It did not sound very metal detecting friendly at all. I would suggest you contact some of the boating excursions and ask them directly to get the best answers.
I have been to Belize 2 times. It’s a beautiful place. A treasure in itself. The people are very friendly. It’s kind of strange, even unnerving a little bit, to see soldiers standing around with their weapons at the ready. We went fishing last time, and a boat with 4 guys pulled up to us. Two in civilian clothes and two soldiers. It scared me a bit. But according to them, we were fishing in the reserve and had to move (even though we were anchored outside of the buoy marker). After they left, we kind of laughed about it. It’s definitely different than what we are used to in the states. Belize City is the high gang crime area. Stay away from there.
What part of Belize are you going to?

Last edited:

trescocos

Tenderfoot
Jun 21, 2017
Grants Pass Oregon ex-Belize
Detector(s) used
Whites Garrets
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sorry dude you are 30 yrs too late for that stuff down there! The chances are customs will snag your detector and if persistent you will get it back when you leave. The beaches are full of metallic trash in the sand ( bottle caps, nails etc from things that wash ashore) and the wrecks are mainly on the reefs, which is a no touch zone if you are a tourist. I had alot of fun in the 24 years I lived down there treasure hunting but most of it, actually all of it, was totally illegal. But ti was Belize after all and everyone did what they wanted to so. Times have since changed.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was a guest of the British Royal Marine jungle Training School there in 1973.I believe it was near Ladysmith? I didn,t see much beach,it seemed to me that Belize consisted of a great deal of swamp,with all the creepy crawlies associated with swamps,jungles and low lying areas. Nor did I meet any Belize locals.There was no crime where we were,but I doubt any self respecting criminal would go there. Just British and one lone U.S. Marine. They had good rum.

OP
OP
D

doctari61

Apr 17, 2022
Hey All,

Thanks for the responses! Does anyone know where in the world we can dive with a metal detector and keep what we find? I read that Caper Hatteras NC allows you to keep what you find if your diving from a boat, but not diving from the beach.

Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions