Trip to the Smoky Mountains

Pimp Lenin

Apr 4, 2006
The Great State of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
P.O.S.
Yesterday I returned after a week-long trip to the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee/North Carolina. This was probably about my 15th trip there in my 30 years of living, but the first since about 1996. Anyhoo, here are some of my better photos.

Here is a view of Mount La Conte as seen from the balcony of the chalet we rented. It was nice to eat breakfast and dinner to such views each day!
013-1.jpg

On the last night of our trip, a full Moon rose over Mount La Conte.
002-1.jpg

This is a view from Campbell's Overlook, which is not too far inside the national park where you enter from Gatlinburg.
011-1.jpg

Here is a view from Newfound Gap. From here, you take a road for seven miles that takes you to Clingmans Dome, which is the highest point in the Smokies at 6,643 feet.
012-1.jpg

This is inside the Little Greenbriar schoolhouse on the way to Cades Cove. It was a one-room schoolhouse built in 1882 and used until the national park opened in 1934.
004-1.jpg

The Primitive Baptist Church in Cades Cove.
005-1.jpg

Deer seen at the Primitive Baptist Church.
007-1.jpg

A bear that we saw at Cades Cove. We saw five bears on this trip.
010-1.jpg

Views from Cades Cove. It rained off and on that day, hence the gloomy skies.
006-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

A couple of nice creek shots.
003-1.jpg

001-2.jpg

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great photos! My mind reeled thinking about camping there and wrestling the bears! :headbang:
Scott

krissi73

Tenderfoot
Apr 14, 2009
Southwest Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went about 8 years ago, its beautiful. People were trying to stop and pet the bears until they got ran off and told they were wild animals lol. Cant wait to go back, looking at your photos made me want to go back even more ;D

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the pics, cause I love that place. As many times I've been, never seen any bears. Looks like you had a very enjoyable trip.

:wink: RR

Gator-Flea

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
Where the grass is blue
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics...............................Love that place,live about 3 hr. aways and go a couple times a years.

Gator-Flea

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice photos. The picture of that bear reminds me of a little incident in the Smokies the last time I was there. I was in Gatlinburg,Tenn. on vacation a few summers ago. My girlfriend (now wife) and I rented one of those mountain chalets for a week. While she was busy unpacking,I was walking around the outside of the chalet (which is on top of a small mountain in the woods like yours) and I see all these bags of garbage strewn about, maybe 50-75 yards from the house. So stupid me from florida for the last 25 years, i'm wondering why the heck did people drag thier garbage out here for? Little did I know the next night I was about to find out why. Next night, steaks are on the grill, dinner was good.Half hour later me and my better half are sitting in the hot tub relaxing after a good meal. A minute or two after that, the wife and I heard a little commotion in the nearby woods, jokingly I replied "don't worry it's just a momma bear looking for her lost cub" and all of a sudden she has a look of fear in her eyes like i'd never seen."Rob theres a BEAR!", were the next words out of her mouth. I turn around from my seated position in the tub to witness a BIG BLACK BEAR with his nose up in the air sniffing and looking for those steaks that we had just consumed. Okay,the hot tub is on the deck of the chalet approx.15 feet from the car in the driveway.The bear was in between the car and the deck about 10-12 feet from us.Well,let me tell you,you have never seen two people move so fast in your life, we were out of the hot tub and in through the sliding glass door in a 1/2 second flat! The bear wasn't worried about us at all, turns out he's probably the one that had been dragging the garbage out into the woods (duh). I grabbed the video camera to get it on tape, thought I did, turns out in all the excitement I must have hit pause because I didn't get the video. I spent the next 5 nights trying to get that bear on video. Sitting up late listening to them in the woods walking around, to no avail. Scared us do death that night,funny as hell now when I think back to it. H.H.

LaKASkill

Jun 2, 2009
Biloxi, MS
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I love going through the Smoky Mountains. We also went to the Church and went to Oliver's Cabin as well as some of the cave tours. BEST TIME OF MY LIFE!!! Great Pics, THANX!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions