SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might get a bit too heavy, but not a bad idea...

OP
OP
I

IMF2020

Aug 31, 2020
Maharlika
Detector(s) used
Clone pulse dive
Primary Interest:
Other
The little i know about coils am guessing it would weigh the same as a 20" coil because it uses the same amount of wire if the coils are in series . This would be only be good on land with a harness ..Is vlf possible ???

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With PI it is fairly easy and has been done. White's had a dual-field coil for the TDI. A 3-field coil is no harder. However, when sharing the TX & RX amongst multiple coils you will not get the raw depth of a dedicated 20" coil nor the sensitivity of a dedicated 5" coil. You will get a compromise instead.

On VLF a multi-field coil is far more difficult because all coils have to be simultaneously induction-balanced (PI does not). If you could make one, it would be a similar compromise.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to use 50cm coil with another 15cm coil in the middle - a "dual field" or better a changed magnetic field picture coil on my PI. As Carl mentioned coil is a physical device and instead of two fields you will get a single resultante field. It also manifested a slitely different collapsing curve so the discriminator did not work. Or i was not able to make it work. Overall i did not find it very efficial, assesing the size and depth of the target was nearly impossible, the "target separation" (something PIs doesn't have) was equal to 50cm coil, or none at all in the other words. So yes, it is benificial to use different coils, for better depth, sensitivity or target separation.

The algorythms for excluding small items did not work as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

IMF2020

Aug 31, 2020
Maharlika
Detector(s) used
Clone pulse dive
Primary Interest:
Other
After watching many videos on whites dual field beach machine and comparing it to the sand shark and the ATX am guessing to me it looks to have a small advantage but like u both say its only a compromise . So on land machines i guess it will always be just change the coil size . And in the underwater models fix coil which my dad says all u need is max 6" enless u have millions of $ of gear and a boat bigger then they used in jaws . Thanks again and good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread