Trouble with cortez depth

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
I am not getting much depth out of my cortez(6" at best).I have been coinshooting the local fairgrounds, I am finding alot of clad, but when I turn over the plug to check for the coin it won't beep it unless there's less than a couple inches or so of dirt(from the bottom of the plug). I have hit a bunch of clad, but nothing deeper than 2-3". The disc. is set at "foil", I have the notch switch set to narrow, the sensitivity is between 7-8. I keep the "ground balance" in the half-way position, as I am just shooting coins in disc mode(it's supposed to auto balance in disc).The threshhold is at the start of the orange "bar". I have brand new coppertops in it(yes alkalines), but I am still not getting deep hits.

There is the chance that there's just nothing in this area, but the grounds date back to the late 1800's, and with this much clad, they CAN"T be thoroughly searched. Any advice is welcome, thanx in advance.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's true that there might not be anything deeper. Strength of batteries won't make any difference as the detector adjusts for it as to amount of signal strength. You may want to try a smaller coil to see less mineralization and this will get you deeper at the same settings. Also to switch to all metal and ground balance again. The softer faint sounds you may hear could be the deeper coins an your thinking it might me falsing from using to high a sensitivity setting. Back off the sens. some and see if that helps. Many think more sensitivity gets them deeper, but not in higher mineralized ground.

HH,
Sandman

ernie

Jun 11, 2004
there may not be any deep coins in the area you are hunting.call trsoro and explain i go a lot deeper than that with mine but the ground is good here.

vareb

Apr 19, 2005
Southern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortez and Teknetics T2.
Try a test garden. I have green, dug wheat pennies buried at 5 to 9" and my Cortes will give a good repeated signal over the 9" coin. This is in the discriminate mode, narrow notch on, sensitivity on 10 and discrimination set at just below nickel.
But, your soil may be hotter that ours, so find a clean spot and bury a coin where you are searching and see how deep you can hit it.

OP
OP
gold fish

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
does gravel (like fill dirt) affect depth??

Mike T

Oct 4, 2006
I live in the NW and even with top of the line Minelabs and Fishers I can't find stuff rarley past 6", its the soil here its super mineralized. Mike T

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread