trouble with my ace 250

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
There are two common reasons for having ghost signals with a metal detector. The first being that you could be wearing steel toe boots and are getting too close to your foot. The second being that the object is so small that you dig it up without realizing it.

For the second reason, people tend to use a pinpointer. A small wand-like device that can help you find tiny metal objects.

When you are metal detecting, what you should be looking for is a nice steady tone. That tone should be the same if you pass over the same spot more than once.
Once you get the hang of it, you will begin to notice the tone differences between coins, pulltabs, nails, and other objects. But there is nothing wrong with digging everything up.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are two common reasons for having ghost signals with a metal detector. The first being that you could be wearing steel toe boots and are getting too close to your foot. The second being that the object is so small that you dig it up without realizing it.

For the second reason, people tend to use a pinpointer. A small wand-like device that can help you find tiny metal objects.

When you are metal detecting, what you should be looking for is a nice steady tone. That tone should be the same if you pass over the same spot more than once.
Once you get the hang of it, you will begin to notice the tone differences between coins, pulltabs, nails, and other objects. But there is nothing wrong with digging everything up.
Couldnt have said it better...Great advice there!

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do people still wear steel toed boots ? If so the problem would be there all the time. Plus tiny targets will still be there by the hole to be found. More likely to high a sensitivity for the ground conditions is being used or the "target" is a iron or mineralisation halo thats being broken and becomes undetectable when the ground is dug.

TN_INDIAN

Jul 4, 2012
WEST TN
Detector(s) used
F2,pinpointer that came with it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im new and wear stell toe boots:dontknow: No wonder my detector been blasting with every step i take lol. If i disc out iron on my f2 u think it will cut out the noise? i wld check but the detector is n my room mates car at her work. And the only other boots i have r shoes is knee hi snake proof boots. Gotta have steel toe for work btw and i always disc out iron anyways thanks.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes shoes have metal inner soles/arch supports that we don't know about because they are usually under the inner sole and lining of the shoe. They are not sold as "steel toes" but are part of regular shoes, sneakers, work boots, etc. and can't be removed without ruining the shoes. You don't know which shoes have them unless you pull the shoe apart. Can be found in cheap shoes and expensive shoes, makes shoes more durable. Try running your detector over all of your shoes and see what, if anything, registers. Also, metal shoe lace grommets (holes) will register.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you checked your batteries :dontknow: Sometimes just replacing batteries will resolve that issue, even if they are brand new :laughing7:

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
used the 250 for 3 years and usually it is from the sensitivity being too high. Practice by digging everything at first and you will get to know alot more about the machine. Then when you know it better you might be a little more discriminating about what you dig.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cntrydncr1 also has a good point.. Keep the sensitivity level at about 3 bars

OP
OP
J

joemiss

Jul 7, 2012
Tks everybody for the tips i checked my shoes n changed the batterys n i do bring my cell phone will have to leave it in the car! Im getting better everyday with my machine still no silver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread