Trying again, This weeks Finds

P

pryt

:?
This weeks Finds at a house built early to mid 1800. First time posting so I will get better I hpoe. Only 1 silver dime 1942 and a few wheaties and 1 IH 1902. Would like to know about this button though and anything else anyone can ID. I've been MDing since about 1997and have watched this forum close lots of great finds. I use a Whites XLT works great for me.
Have a whole treasure chest I biult full of finds I'll try and post some of the good ones as I get better. Also found a Centenial Celebration badge dated 1895, NOT in Pic will post later

Tim Central PA

Upvote 0

midus1

Jul 8, 2003
Alexandria, Ky
V8 car emblem

Great finds. The v8 emblem I'm pretty sure is from one of the big 1950's auto's. The reat of the stuff is unknown to me but definately neat stuff.

HH

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great finds-- any time you find a silver coin or IH penny you're in a good spot, I'd go back there ASAP! You're other finds show that a lot of other goodies besides coins might still be found!

OP
OP
P

pryt

Still hunting it

Yeah lots to be found here. Only hunted it about 4 times and not real through yet.

G

geatley

Think your button is a U.S. Army one like this one. A good site to look up buttons Is the Waterbury Button Company.
They have been in business since before the Civil War.
http://www.waterburybutton.com

OP
OP
P

pryt

Thanks for the info. I'll surely make note of that place to look up buttons.
Thanks again

G

geatley

What are the two round objects next to the V/8
They look like the hinged tin I found once.
I think it is some sort of womens cosmetic tin but have never found out for sure.

G

geatley

What are the two round objects next to the V/8
They look like the hinged tin I found once.
I think it is some sort of womens cosmetic tin but have never found out for sure.

warthog steve

Mar 23, 2003
Brown City,Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350GTA for dry,Fisher 1280X for wet........
Hey Pryt- Steve P here- I found myself looking at the first button you posted, wnen I realizedI have the twin to it in my display case!!! My button is almost like new,still has some gilt on it;backmarkedSCOVILL MF'G CO. WATERBURY - I did some research on the Web, found out this particular button was used on Federal uniforms during the Civil War!!!I found it at a private beach club here in Michigan,I think it dropped off somebodys uniform just after it was manufactured, its like brand new!!!Maybe it fell off a Michigan Infantry soldiers uniform at a victory party at the end of the War.It makes me wonder,if this button could talk,what kind of story it could tell?

warthog steve

Mar 23, 2003
Brown City,Michigan
Detector(s) used
Steve P here again -it also very closely resembles that gold-gilt button that is the second one posted, mine never had gold on it, it has a dark brown patina.

warthog steve

Mar 23, 2003
Brown City,Michigan
Detector(s) used
Steve P here again -it also very closely resembles that gold-gilt button that is the second one posted, mine never had gold on it, it has a dark brown patina.

mrdoug61

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2003
Dorothy, NJ
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
button i.d.

hello pryt, I'm new to detecting but found a button like yours in my own back yard. the research i've done so far points to a u.s. army button that the waterbury company still makes, #16550. the thing that throws me off is that the backmark indicates a civil war time period. i sent a e-mail to waterbury co. and they refered me to the national button society for help in I.Ding my button. have not contacted them yet. I'll send some images for you to check out.

P.S. my house was built in 1977

mrdoug61

warthog steve

Mar 23, 2003
Brown City,Michigan
Detector(s) used
Doug61-I have the clone of your button,right down to the backmark! The only difference is there is no star between Scovill and Waterbury on mine.

warthog steve

Mar 23, 2003
Brown City,Michigan
Detector(s) used
PS- it is also a good clue these buttons are old; the shanks are soldered on- they have not been made like that for a long time.

OP
OP
P

pryt

Isn't it amazing

I find it real interesting that some of the same items can be found every where. I do agree this is an old button due to the solider. Thanks for all the responses.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread