Trying to find colonial sites

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I found a site that I know had 3 colonial houses built on the property. The problem is the area is relatively large and I wouldn’t be able to cover the entire piece of property in a months time or more by myself. The location is in a rather urban area, lost in plain site I guess you can say. I’d try to hit the whole area, but it used to be a popular drinking area for kids so I’m sure the site is littered with garbage. Is there a tool online I can use to help narrow down the search area? Supposedly there are stone foundations, but they are buried under leaves and some dirt.

Thanks!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cellar holes are pretty obvious here in RI, but many old cabin sites didn't have a cellar and were built on flat ground. I've had good luck finding them by digging iron signals. If you find a lot of nails and spikes in a relatively small area, you've probably found an old home site. Brass finds like door hinges, drawer pulls and escutcheons are a good sign of a former home site as well.

If you do find an old home site, don't forget to look for the barn! Big iron door hinges and broken tools, such as files, saw blades, hammer heads and so on are a good indicator of an old barn site.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gaia gps sure helps me out

OP
OP
B

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gaia gps sure helps me out
Was just checking this out. How do you use it to find these home sites. PM me if you don’t want to share publicly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread