Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Kitz

Nov 12, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Golden Umax, Bandido II Umax, Sand Shark. DeepTech Vista X. Minelab Vanquish 540.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an old tone model and love it for jewelry hunting. A friend also has one and it's become his primary detector. Those sweet analog multi-tones are hard to beat.

Goldens still come up from time to time on eBay, but tend to be pricey. Occasionally you can find one at a better price on Kijiji or other classifieds sites.

As for replacements, I'm not sure. Maybe some of the Fishers? The F5 is a digital/analog hybrid, and kind of reminds me of a DeLeon with multi-tones.

-Ken

OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the tip Ken, will continue to keep an eye out for one.

Cheers!

Whimpster

Jan 30, 2013
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD
Teknetics G2
E-Trac
Tesoro,Bandido II uMax,Silver uMax,Silver Sabre uMax
Tesoro,Eldorado small plastic box.
Compadre 8" coil ,Compadre 5.75"coil.
Tesoro Golden uMax new and old tone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anybody still own a Golden uMax, and still hunt with it today? if I cannot locate one, which Analog detector comes close to this hard to get detector?

I have two...old tone and new tone...great little detectors. I found my first gold coin US five dollar 1881 with my old tone Golden uMax.
I may consider selling the old tone Golden. Just not sure what a fair price is for one now. I'm in Nova Scotia.

FAT SEXY

Sep 30, 2020
Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been looking for one too.. Hard to find detector.

mjphoto54

Jun 17, 2013
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Omega 8000, Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a shop that still has some Tesoros, new, for sale if anyone is looking. Not sure what models however.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Golden uMax is a super machine...! I was near torn between a Cibola and the uMax.
Some regrets not getting BOTH of those fine machine....!
signed,
a Happy Tesoro Owner................!

blauer

Jun 17, 2014
Pennsylbama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II.
Primary Interest:
Other
Does anybody still own a Golden uMax, and still hunt with it today? if I cannot locate one, which Analog detector comes close to this hard to get detector?

I used to be a Tesoro user (had a Golden Sabre and at some point a Golden uMax (among many other models)) and I found that the Bounty Hunter QuickDraw II has the same notch settings and tri-tone as the Golden. It's my Detector Prime and I just blasted a silver war nickel (1944 P) at 8 inches with it at a sight I've been hunting since the late 1980s. Operator competence is paramount with any detector!

HistoryStudent

Feb 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The golden was a unique machine. It's ability to ignore pull tabs and aluminum bottle tops while seeing gold rings clearly was what made it so special. There's not any other machine that I know of that could do that. They've always been hard to find at any price. I have one that I'll never sell but if you can find one you will be amazed at what it can do. Definitely keep looking and I wish you luck.

HistoryStudent

Feb 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want a really good new analog detector, look at the golden mask 4wd. I have one and I absolutely love it. It's what Tesoro should have made but never did.

It's multi tone. Wireless headphones. Rechargeable batteries and best of all, it's 12 volt. I cannot recommend this machine highly enough.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just saw a super-nice factory high-tone Cibola on fleebay.. :)

FAT SEXY

Sep 30, 2020
Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The golden was a unique machine. It's ability to ignore pull tabs and aluminum bottle tops while seeing gold rings clearly was what made it so special. There's not any other machine that I know of that could do that. They've always been hard to find at any price. I have one that I'll never sell but if you can find one you will be amazed at what it can do. Definitely keep looking and I wish you luck.

I've watched a few tutorials on YouTube about the Golden uMax.. with it's tones, notch and decent depth, I couldn't imagine a better everyday analog machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread