Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying to ID This Piece of Depression Glass... I know it's a longshot

This was purchased recently with a box lot of stuff from an old "picker" guy that I buy stuff off of every now and then. It is uranium glass, it almost glows in regular light. It's 10 inches long by 7 inches wide and 6 inches tall. Kind of looks like a basket without a handle. I know it's a longshot but i'm hoping someone may be able to help ID the maker or even the pattern. I've checked all my books and can't find anything similar.

DSC00827.JPG DSC00825.JPG

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, it's Vaseline glass if it glows under an ultraviolet or black light. A nice decorative basket

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
I'm thinking it may be an Imperial glass piece. Very cool and a nice find to be sure !

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a tough one. I would look in my EAPG books, but I don't even like doing that for my glass, haha, just makes my eyes go blurry trying to match a real object with a one dimensional drawing.

It sure looks like EAPG to me, but the color looks more modern.

Could it possibly be a factory working having fun at the end of day and maybe experimenting with a spooner / celery / or biscuit jar base? Tough to tell from the pics, but does the upper parts of the patter appear stretched on the long ends?

And your idea about a basket without the handle is just as good.

I looked through a few books I had but saw nothing similar.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a tough one. I would look in my EAPG books, but I don't even like doing that for my glass, haha, just makes my eyes go blurry trying to match a real object with a one dimensional drawing.

It sure looks like EAPG to me, but the color looks more modern.

Could it possibly be a factory working having fun at the end of day and maybe experimenting with a spooner / celery / or biscuit jar base? Tough to tell from the pics, but does the upper parts of the patter appear stretched on the long ends?

And your idea about a basket without the handle is just as good.

I looked through a few books I had but saw nothing similar.
The closest I can come to the color is a British art deco era piece. The pattern has a few slight "similarities" too. 1930s British Art Deco Uranium glass water jug 7 inches tall
The camera flash makes it appear much brighter than it actually is. The true color is more of a pale green
and much more similar to this- Antique Art Deco 30s Sowerby Uranium glass rose bowl
The scalloped edging does appear stretched toward the ends where they flare out and downward. It is a 4 piece construction. The side panels are comprised of 3 separate pieces and the base appears to have been attached (no seam lines in the bottom). Here are the seam lines circled (you may have to enlarge to see it, i'm not too good with MS paint)-

DSC00825.JPG

and here is a photo of the bottom-

DSC00826.JPG

It does show some age on the bottom rim, in the form of wear on the base which also includes a few small chips as you can see.
As far as the shape, who knows, I haven't found a match, the closest is the piece that savant365 gave an example of, but i've never seen a posey vase that size. Another mystery piece of glass. :icon_scratch:

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That one just has me stumped. When you mentioned Sowerby, that could be correct. It also made me think of Davidson. But I just don't know enough about vaseline/uranium glass to really even lead you down the right road here. Have you tried posting on the ebay pottery/glass message board?

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first thought when seeing it was Westmoreland but the more I look the more I'm not at all sure! Sowerby could be correct, I'm gonna research it!

TonyTiger

Nov 5, 2013
Mellieha, Malta
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cutlass Umax and Minelab X Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,look up carnival glass,that's what it looks like to me

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,look up carnival glass,that's what it looks like to me

It's not carnival glass, it's clearly not iridized, it's old pressed uranium glass, not really what people in the know call vaseline glass either tho some do call it that but if its not the color of old vaseline (pale or bright yellow) it's not vaseline glass. Green glass with uranium in it is often called or referred to as depression glass regardless of when it was made as some of it is pre depression era & some of it is well after the depression era.. That's why I prefer calling any green glass outside of the real depression era simply uranium glass.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have not seen any PV pieces signed in that fashion but I imagine it can probably be closely dated by that makers mark just like its easy to date Blenko signed or marked pieces. I've seen the sticker on pieces that says pretty much the same thing
Picture 36.png
That's not etched as the one you have is so I'd say doing a search of PV marks on pieces by year or date (vaseline or not) is what needs searched.

Last edited:

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way how many vaseline pieces, green depression pieces, jadeite pieces or any other uranium type of glass pieces do you own? 99% of mine is boxed up for safety till I buy a house, soon I hope. Haven't seen most of mine in quite a while but I imagine I have a couple hounded green depression pieces minimum, about 75 vaseline pieces, about 20 custard pieces, 25 nice jadeite pieces (one being one of my very favorite pieces a pair of awesome vases). I also have 3 large chunks of glass slag cullets, a 6+ pound chunk of vaseline, a 3 lb chunk of custard & a 2 Lb chunk of white with some blue swirls in spots (the blue swirls reacts to UV light).

I also collect some amberina glass, only very select pieces tho. Amberina also glows strangely under UV light but because of the manganese content not from uranium, its mostly for color diversity in my collection as is the cobalt blue + ruby red cut to clear pieces I have. My new house will have several large customized (with blacklights or UV LED's) curio type cabinets filled with this stuff. Any green depression or jadeite kitchenware pieces will be displayed in the kitchen above the cabinets or around the top of the walls around the whole room in custom built sealed glass fronted cabinets with blacklights or UV lights inside them. Topped off with vintage & antique chrome or high polished aluminum art deco looking small appliances. (Pots, pans, toaster, toaster oven, waffle iron, popcorn popper & so on.)

Found some pix of some stuff before it was boxed up those cool jadeite vases first!
GosmsPhoto1367640812715.jpg

Some interesting vaseline unknown date medicine bottles
IMG_20130528_094419.jpg

1888ish Buckeye Glass Sheldon Swirl oil lamp with vaseline opalescent fitted shade (another of my favs!)
IMG_20130716_144510.jpg

A first generation 1940 Lincoln drape Aladdin lamp in alacite (made with uranium). The scalloped foot is the big deal here as this lamp was never reproduced with the original very first year scalloped foot & only 1 other year (41) with uranium in it.
IMG_20130716_144517.jpg

a Fostoria heirloom piece
Cgosms_2013-03-2605-17-22.jpg Cgosms_2013-03-2605-14-40.jpg

Cabinet shelf once full of green depression glass under a blacklight. The big tall vase is an early 40's Fenton Ming pattern but it's larger than any other Fenton Ming I have ever seen before (by about 2"). It's kind of too large/tall to use by about 2", never figured this one out yet maybe a prototype?
GosmsPhoto1357857641757.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way how many vaseline pieces, green depression pieces, jadeite pieces or any other uranium type of glass pieces do you own? 99% of mine is boxed up for safety till I buy a house, soon I hope. Haven't seen most of mine in quite a while but I imagine I have a couple hounded green depression pieces minimum, about 75 vaseline pieces, about 20 custard pieces, 25 nice jadeite pieces (one being one of my very favorite pieces a pair of awesome vases). I also have 3 large chunks of glass slag cullets, a 6+ pound chunk of vaseline, a 3 lb chunk of custard & a 2 Lb chunk of white with some blue swirls in spots (the blue swirls reacts to UV light).

Cabinet shelf once full of green depression glass under a blacklight. The big tall vase is an early 40's Fenton Ming pattern but it's larger than any other Fenton Ming I have ever seen before (by about 2"). It's kind of too large/tall to use by about 2", never figured this one out yet maybe a prototype?
View attachment 897805

Oh lord, I can't even begin to guess how much. Lets just say... too much! I have stuff boxed up that I haven't seen in years as far as all types of glass goes. I haven't really been collecting vaseline for too long but I do have a bunch of it that I have found over the last few years. Jadeite gets used daily and I have a bunch of it boxed up too. Although I probably know more than most that don't collect or buy glass, i'm no expert and I have a lot to learn still but I love learning all I can on all the old glass companies here in the US, most of which no longer exist. I am always looking for old glass of any type.
Here is a couple old photos of what my kitchen looked like-

100_1740.jpg 100_1741.jpg 100_1743.jpg

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the canisters & shakers, I have a few of each as well. Now the bowls & plates are they original jadeite or the (post start of WWII) formula jadeite like Fire king? I personally only collect the original formula pre war jadeite with uranium in it. And I would never store food in nor eat or drink out of that stuff as ingesting any little chip of that glass could give ya cancer. I have friends who wont even touch the uranium glass...lol, a little over the top IMO.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got one for ya.. I got this yesterday at an auction it's a vaseline opalescent blown glass vessel, jar, or I'm not sure what exactly to call it. Maybe a mini decanter? Has a cork broken off in the mouth that sits flush with the glass. The top 2/3rds of it has a crossing diamond pattern with a flower looking pattern inside the diamonds. The bottom 1/3rd is ribbed & has a rough pontil on bottom. The color is definitely the color of old vaseline glass not newer vaseline glass. The opalescent is very light white not at all defined bright deep white. I'm keeping it so resale value doesn't really matter now, I just wonder who made it & what it was used for. Can't or haven't found one like it as of yet. BTW it doesn't look to have ever had a glass stopper, no signs at all of any scratching in the mouth/neck area.
DSC02454.JPG DSC02455.JPG DSC02456.JPG DSC02457.JPG DSC02460.JPG DSC02461.JPG DSC02459.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got one for ya.. I got this yesterday at an auction it's a vaseline opalescent blown glass vessel, jar, or I'm not sure what exactly to call it. Maybe a mini decanter? Has a cork broken off in the mouth that sits flush with the glass. The top 2/3rds of it has a crossing diamond pattern with a flower looking pattern inside the diamonds. The bottom 1/3rd is ribbed & has a rough pontil on bottom. The color is definitely the color of old vaseline glass not newer vaseline glass. The opalescent is very light white not at all defined bright deep white. I'm keeping it so resale value doesn't really matter now, I just wonder who made it & what it was used for. Can't or haven't found one like it as of yet. BTW it doesn't look to have ever had a glass stopper, no signs at all of any scratching in the mouth/neck area.
View attachment 899032 View attachment 899033 View attachment 899034 View attachment 899035 View attachment 899036 View attachment 899037 View attachment 899038
LOL. I thought that was a Steigal bottle in the diamond daisy pattern for a split second. Then I remembered it was vaseline glass. It is a beautiful bottle. As for the question about the jadeite, it is all the post war Fire King stuff.

bottle.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread