Tumbler belt replacement

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a single drum rotary tumbler that I bought at Harbor Freight tools. Last week, my spare belt broke. It came with two belts.

I went to the store but they don't sell replacement belts. I called the manufacturer but they charge $8.99 for 1-belt shipped.

Has anyone else have had this issue? I was looking at some hoover vacuum belts but they are not rounded like the tumbler.

Any help is appreciated.

HH!
Moe

native conch

Tenderfoot
Feb 14, 2009
south florida
Detector(s) used
white's mxt300,white's bhid300,garrett ace 250 and minelab excalibur2
look for an o'ring at an autoparts store or diesel repair shop

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
The original belt should last quite a while if it is adjusted properly and you are not overloading the tumbler. In a pinch "standard" size 1/4" wide rubber bands work as belts too, but long term use of them can damage the plastic pulleys.

Make sure you adjust the spacing of the two pulleys (yes, this is adjustable) to be just enough that the belt is not too loose (i.e. it just catches). This keeps the belt at the right tension and not too tight. If it is too tight it will work, but it will stress the belt.

Don't overload the tumbler. It is rated for 3#. If you are filling it to the brim with coins, rocks and water it is too full and too heavy. This stresses the motor and the belt. Ideally the tumbler should be no more than 1/2 full of rocks and coins and no more than 3/4 full when you add water. Besides saving the motor and the belt life, a properly loaded (not overloaded) tumbler works better and faster at cleaning your coins as the material has room to move around in the drum.

Replacement belts are cheaper on E-Bay and should be just as effective. Many rock shops and lapidary stores sell them online too.

OP
OP
Moe (fl)

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a few stores and could not find these type of drive belts.

Where do you get small rounded belts?

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a thought. I have bought several small rounded belts over the years for various devices (key cutting machine, tumbler) and have always found them at sewing machine/vacuum cleaner repair shops. They only cost a couple bucks and then you also get a part number so you can always get more. I would take the tumbler with me and let them match it up.

Bob

BADDOG

Dec 21, 2004
Weeki Wachee, FL (north of Tampa)
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Where are you at in Florida? If your near Orlando you can go to Sky Craft and get anything you want. But most importantly they have large o-rings that will work. It's on Fairbanks near I-4.

OOPS I see from your profile map your in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico. :laughing7:

Good Luck
Baddog

OP
OP
Moe (fl)

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all for the replies!

Chi-town hunter - Where can I get the celery rubber bands you are talking about? The ones I have seen look small. Please post a picture.

Wouldn't the tumbler motor overheat because of the different tension of the rubber band?

Thanks,
Moe

OP
OP
Moe (fl)

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After failing to find the exact replacement belt, I fixed my tumbler with 4 rubber bands. It works just the same!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to your local grocery store. Get a replacement belt for the Dust Devil hand vac. Cheap! They come two in a pack. HINT: Run it a little loose until it loosens up. I replaced mine with one about two years ago & it's still going!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread