May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(All stubble is too hard to dig & no rain forecast for weeks!)
We thought we had found a spot we could detect because it looked ploughed up & not too bumpy. It was a Roman Site next to a Turkey Farm that we have done fairly well but seemed our best bet.
We only got 1 scrappy in 2 hours & it was too dangerous to continue with our weaken knees. For some reason they only managed to disc up 50% of the oilseed rape stalks. Making it hard to swing & hard not to trip.
We re-grouped after lunch & moved a couple of fields over where they had done a better job of turning the stalks in. This field had a cropmark that I thought we hadn't properly gridded, & although it was a massive field we had had the odd good find. (2 Roman Silver, a hammered or 2)
After another 2 hours 15 mins of direct sun & very little finds, I called it.
This is our lowest result this year & even though fishing the river is terrible because of the lack of rain, I'm doing that instead, until we can think of a better plan!

5 Scrappies
Maybe a Tudor Buckle
Bits...

1.JPG
2.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 20

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We thought we had found a spot we could detect because it looked ploughed up & not too bumpy. It was a Roman Site next to a Turkey Farm that we have done fairly well but seemed our best bet.
We only got 1 scrappy in 2 hours & it was too dangerous to continue with our weaken knees. For some reason they only managed to disc up 50% of the oilseed rape stalks. Making it hard to swing & hard not to trip.
We re-grouped after lunch & moved a couple of field over where they had done a better job of turning the stalks in. This field had a cropmark that I thought we hadn't properly gridded, & although it was a massive field we had had the odd good find. (2 Roman Silver, a hammered or 2)
This is our lowest result this year & even though fishing the river is terrible because of the lack of rain, I'm doing that instead, until we can think of a better plan!

5 Scrappies
Maybe a Tudor Buckle
Bits...

View attachment 2040243 View attachment 2040244
You gave it a good go, and still a pretty good show.
Did you dig any of these find from any depth?
Just wondering how the Dll does in the bone dry ground.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You gave it a good go, and still a pretty good show.
Did you dig any of these find from any depth?
Just wondering how the Dll does in the bone dry ground.
Most were surface finds in the top lumps, only the bigger stuff was deep. Although the penny was about 5 inches deep on the Deus I.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got some coins, so not a blank!
Otherwise the same here. Not worth spending the time. I got permission for a small patch pasture last week when chatting with a farmer. I want to detect there for years and now the drought got me permission. The grass is already dry so the farmer agreed. Not sure how to get into the ground without using explosives....

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Otherwise the same here. Not worth spending the time. I got permission for a small patch pasture last week when chatting with a farmer. I want to detect there for years and now the drought got me permission. The grass is already dry so the farmer agreed. Not sure how to get into the ground without using explosives....
A sledge hammer and large cold chisel if you want to go that far with it!:icon_thumleft:

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We re-grouped after lunch & moved a couple of field over where they had done a better job of turning the stalks in. This field had a cropmark that I thought we hadn't properly gridded, & although it was a massive field we had had the odd good find. (2 Roman Silver, a hammered or 2)

5 Scrappies
Maybe a Tudor Buckle
Bits...

Still not bad!:icon_thumleft:

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

5 Scrappies
Maybe a Tudor Buckle
Bits...

Cru',
Even your bad days are good!

Thanks for sharing!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

5 Scrappies
Maybe a Tudor Buckle
Bits...

Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a hand pick. :censored:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader it looks like you had a nice day. Thanks for sharing with us

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread