NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy folks,

I was out creek walking after dinner on Friday and stumbled on this. Nowhere near a military base, so I had to call the brother-in-law who was ex demolitions and blew up IEDs in Iraq. After getting about a 90% positive ID from him, I headed down to the police office and reported it's location.

It's a very small town in NW Missouri and they don't have a bomb squad, so it may be a few days before it gets positively ID'ed and potentially destroyed/removed.

There is the potential that I've got it wrong but it's close enough to warrant notifying the authorities. A lot of kids play in the creek and woods in this area.

I'll keep y'all posted.

-NZ49er

20210827_180159.jpg
20210827_180202.jpg
20210827_180207.jpg
0bbc18ee1f629bd0568064b4e281af92.jpg

Upvote 22

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a place I know where random stuff like this comes out on occasion along with other war relics. As the story goes veterans returned home from war with certain 'souvenirs', then a few years later after settling down, starting a family and whatnot, the wife says 'get this dangerous scary stuff out of here' so husband of course throws it in the town dump, where it will be 'never seen again'. Now 80 years later people dig into the old dump and find all these suprises.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good eye. Most people would not even know what that was with all of the algae and other growth on it.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a not everday find, find!
I'm assuming you didn't take a hammer to it,
I saw Bugs Bunny do it a couple times, he came out okay.
His might have been a prop.
Kudos!
Carl

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you,ve found out,blue indicates a practice round,OD indicates a high explosive,and grey indicates a white phosphorus,white indicates an illumination round.There,s variations but that usually covers the basic rounds.Can,t tell if that,s a bomb or a shell,what,s the relative size.length and diameter?Just your guess,I don,t expect you to go measure it.I,m gonna take a wild stab and say it,s a mortar illumination shell,81mm or 4.2 inch,but for the life of me I don,t see how it could have gotten there.Please keep us posted,I,d like to know what you find out.Add on,some Korean era WP rounds had that shape near the base.

Last edited:

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
Sure that ain't just an old window sash weight? I've used 'em to set jug lines and for anchoring my kayak when bottom fishing. :icon_scratch:

c2eXcAz.jpg

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out the far end away from the camera,looks like fins,and the end of the body looks like where a mortar round tapers down to the shank where the propelling increments would be.i could be all wrong,I,m going on a really bad photo,no offense,I realize you couldn,t do any better there but just a guess,i spent 4 years in mortars and fired a bunch of rounds,some from as far back as the Korean war stocks.If I,m wrong I,ll eat that crow,won,t be the first time for me.

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
Check out the far end away from the camera,looks like fins,and the end of the body looks like where a mortar round tapers down to the shank where the propelling increments would be.i could be all wrong,I,m going on a really bad photo,no offense,I realize you couldn,t do any better there but just a guess,i spent 4 years in mortars and fired a bunch of rounds,some from as far back as the Korean war stocks.If I,m wrong I,ll eat that crow,won,t be the first time for me.

Me either. :laughing7: Let me know if you need a good recipe, I'll be happy to share mine.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the FBI would help

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nah,the FBI would say it,s all a Russian plot orchestrated by somebody.A certain somebody.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crow and Mushroom Stew

3 crows
1 Tbsp lard/shortening
1 pint stock or gravy
2 Tbsp cream
1/2 cup mushrooms
salt and pepper
cayenne pepper

Clean and cut crows into small portions and let them cook a short time in the lard/shortening in a saucepan, being careful not to brown them.
Next, add to the contents of the pan, the stock or gravy, and salt, pepper and cayenne to taste.
Simmer 1 hour, or until tender, add mushrooms, simmer 10 minutes more and then stir in cream.
Arrange the mushrooms around the crows on a hot platter.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crow and Mushroom Stew

3 crows
1 Tbsp lard/shortening
1 pint stock or gravy
2 Tbsp cream
1/2 cup mushrooms
salt and pepper
cayenne pepper

Clean and cut crows into small portions and let them cook a short time in the lard/shortening in a saucepan, being careful not to brown them.
Next, add to the contents of the pan, the stock or gravy, and salt, pepper and cayenne to taste.
Simmer 1 hour, or until tender, add mushrooms, simmer 10 minutes more and then stir in cream.
Arrange the mushrooms around the crows on a hot platter.

Wrote that down Terry,probably come in handy,thanks!

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure looks like what you think it is, best to err on the side of caution

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will promise you this. If you call the FBI and tell them you think you found a BOMB out in the public they will CHECK IT OUT !!! SAFELY I HOPE !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread