Two amazing local paintings found recently of Paterson N.J.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi gang, I typically only post on the bottle and stoneware page sharing my Paterson N.J. collection, as well as Paterson N.J. F.D. badges. I was lucky enough to find two amazing paintings of the Passaic River Falls in the last two months.

The first is an oil on poplar board, the board being 19-5/8"X17-1/2", that dates to 1830-40, according to the appraiser it has it's original coved frame as well, unfortunately it is unsigned but there are several like it in the Lambert Castle Historical Society collection of Passaic County.

Here it is not showing the frame...

The second painting I got over the weekend is signed by Julian Wahlbridge Rix, a very well known painter, it is signed and dated 1873. A native of Vermont, he lived in California where his artwork caught the attention of silk tycoon, William Ryle, of Paterson, New Jersey. Ryle financed Rix's work and many of his paintings hang in the halls of Lambert Castle as well. Rix died at his home in New York City in 1903.The painting itself is 30"X25" without the period frame.

Both paintings are being loaned to the Paterson Museum for at least a year for now, the Paterson Falls recently became a National Park and unlike the Lambert Castle the Paterson Museum doesn't currently own any paintings of this magnitude or importance. It's an honor to be the new owner of both, which will most likely be left to my nieces, and to have them displayed for all those National Park visitors to see and admire. Thanks for looking...

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did you scoop them super cheap or something? What's the story?

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those definitely are some beautiful pieces. I too would like to know how you acquired them. Congrats on some fantastic paintings.

OP
OP
epackage

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you scoop them super cheap or something? What's the story?
Got them both at auctions in Pennsylvania, first one is appraised $7-8,000 the second $10-12,000. The first one was just listed as "River scene with fisherman" and was the only thing on the very last page of an auction catalog I was looking thru looking to buy bottles and stoneware, had I not turned the page I never would have known.

The Rix was the more expensive being signed and dated, but it was also in a Pennsy auction so there was only one other bidder on it, my total investment is under $4,000 including buyers premium.

fransherrell

Dec 20, 2016
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also like to buy such beautiful paintings to adorn my wall. Please let me know where havu bought it. Are they purchased from any online marketing company? Good choice!

OP
OP
epackage

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
I would also like to buy such beautiful paintings to adorn my wall. Please let me know where havu bought it. Are they purchased from any online marketing company? Good choice!
Both paintings were bought at auction, the larger one painted by Julian Rix in 1873 is currently on exhibit at the Paterson Museum until the end of the year. If you are still interested at that time I will be happy to discuss selling it to you.... Jim

oorix1.jpg

OP
OP
epackage

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Both paintings were bought at auction, the larger one painted by Julian Rix in 1873 is currently on exhibit at the Paterson Museum until the end of the year. If you are still interested at that time I will be happy to discuss selling it to you.... Jim View attachment 1403644

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My father in law grew up in Paterson. He now lives in Perth Amboy but has the great falls painted on his staircase.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485833418.514671.jpg

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious, was one of these paintings the one that went missing. I recall a thread about your bad ordeal, at least I think it was your painting. If so, what ever came of it? Did you get it back?

OP
OP
epackage

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Just curious, was one of these paintings the one that went missing. I recall a thread about your bad ordeal, at least I think it was your painting. If so, what ever came of it? Did you get it back?
Still missing, still waiting on insurance check...

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are like me, an insurance check will never replace the painting. Hope the check makes up for some of your loss.

OP
OP
epackage

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
It took 6 months to the day, but the Paterson city council finally got to vote unanimously to reimburse me for the painting, the sad part is once I accept the check and sign the legal form the city is the new owner if it's ever found or returned. If that occurs I hope to be able to purchase it from them....

I'd rather have the painting than the insurance settlement.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread