antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
#1 - 3 by 1 3/4 Hillsborough County Florida
#2 - 2 1/2 by 1 7/16 Hillsborough County Florida

Only two I've ever found (I think), don't see these posted that often, #1 has a slight curve midway to the tip and #2 was extremely used and probably slapped around some.

20210318_231215.jpg
20210318_231229.jpg
20210318_231222.jpg
20210318_231238.jpg
20210318_231315.jpg
20210318_231333.jpg
20210318_231418.jpg
20210318_231357.jpg

Upvote 0

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
relic accident

My wife took off to visit our grandchildren yesterday for a safe vacation. A vacation in an interesting location. It a "treehouse" vacation in Missouri. I used to hunt in that area back in the late 70 and was familiar with the area so I think it will be fun for them.

I had pre-scheduled appointments and could not make this vacation. Bummer

The place they are staying is a large two story treehouse in the country side of Missouri. Crazy.

Here a photo looking down the stairs up to the living quarters
66018.jpg

So it was raining like crazy yesterday, so in the evening I thought I would work on my relics and put into some frames a quantity of relics I had laying on a large table in my office room.

When I opened a closet door to get some supplies an antique ax fell off of a shelf I had on the wall and landed on a riker frame smashing the glass front cover and spray glass and glass splinters all over the table top.

Well that's a big time serious bummer, but no relics were damaged thankfully.

It took me about an hour to carefully clean all the relics, and get all the glass up without making the mess worse.

tragedy avoided.

That got me thinking about other times I have had close calls or worse.

Back in the early 80s after I split with my first wife, my dad also had split at the same time so we were rooming together, which turned out to be a great time and we really bonded over the time.

Anyway, one evening a door was slammed and a frame fell off of a wall and broke a nice pink point - ouch. The frame had been precariously hung I later found out.

Another time a cleaning lady dropped an slate axe and chipped the blade. Even though I had repeatedly asked them not to touch, move or pick up any relic. Apparently the cleaning lady had a newbie assistant who did not know and accident occurred.

Now I have them in a closed lawyer bookcase. My hung frames are carefully and slowing hung, then checked for being secure.

Relics everywhere eventually will find an event that may result in this sort of thing.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are some rough and tumble pieces. I like the translucent pic we’re I can see the two little inclusions towards the tip in the first pic without light.
When I cover my good eye the the base and notch, back to the should looks like an eccentric.
Somehow your picture make skills get even better and better.

Do you know that artifact whisperer? There was a post about. I was thinking kinda in your area?

OP
OP
antmike915

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those are some rough and tumble pieces. I like the translucent pic we’re I can see the two little inclusions towards the tip in the first pic without light.
When I cover my good eye the the base and notch, back to the should looks like an eccentric.
Somehow your picture make skills get even better and better.

Do you know that artifact whisperer? There was a post about. I was thinking kinda in your area?

I think Hal is the artifact whisper :laughing7:

OP
OP
antmike915

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My wife took off to visit our grandchildren yesterday for a safe vacation. A vacation in an interesting location. It a "treehouse" vacation in Missouri. I used to hunt in that area back in the late 70 and was familiar with the area so I think it will be fun for them.

I had pre-scheduled appointments and could not make this vacation. Bummer

The place they are staying is a large two story treehouse in the country side of Missouri. Crazy.

Here a photo looking down the stairs up to the living quarters
View attachment 1911406

So it was raining like crazy yesterday, so in the evening I thought I would work on my relics and put into some frames a quantity of relics I had laying on a large table in my office room.

When I opened a closet door to get some supplies an antique ax fell off of a shelf I had on the wall and landed on a riker frame smashing the glass front cover and spray glass and glass splinters all over the table top.

Well that's a big time serious bummer, but no relics were damaged thankfully.

It took me about an hour to carefully clean all the relics, and get all the glass up without making the mess worse.

tragedy avoided.

That got me thinking about other times I have had close calls or worse.

Back in the early 80s after I split with my first wife, my dad also had split at the same time so we were rooming together, which turned out to be a great time and we really bonded over the time.

Anyway, one evening a door was slammed and a frame fell off of a wall and broke a nice pink point - ouch. The frame had been precariously hung I later found out.

Another time a cleaning lady dropped an slate axe and chipped the blade. Even though I had repeatedly asked them not to touch, move or pick up any relic. Apparently the cleaning lady had a newbie assistant who did not know and accident occurred.

Now I have them in a closed lawyer bookcase. My hung frames are carefully and slowing hung, then checked for being secure.

Relics everywhere eventually will find an event that may result in this sort of thing.

I was cleaning a 3 inch Kirk on the same day I found it, after I rinsed it I had the point in one hand reaching for a towel with the other and right when I brought towel and point together it slipped out of my hand and hit my tile floor and broke in 3 pieces, needless to say I air dry them from now on.

One time digging, I shattered a small 2 inch point with a shovel trying to take out a root, after that I started taking hand saws.

A ex girlfriend many years ago out of spite stole two huge frames of my Florida finds, 1 large frame of Georgia finds and 11 Tupperware containers that were filled with scrapers, cores, hammerstones, ect... after that I don't display artifacts for anyone to see or touch, all are secure now under lock and key.

Good post dog, things like those you mentioned and that I have mentioned will definitely make you more cautious about them.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was cleaning a 3 inch Kirk on the same day I found it, after I rinsed it I had the point in one hand reaching for a towel with the other and right when I brought towel and point together it slipped out of my hand and hit my tile floor and broke in 3 pieces, needless to say I air dry them from now on.

One time digging, I shattered a small 2 inch point with a shovel trying to take out a root, after that I started taking hand saws.

A ex girlfriend many years ago out of spite stole two huge frames of my Florida finds, 1 large frame of Georgia finds and 11 Tupperware containers that were filled with scrapers, cores, hammerstones, ect... after that I don't display artifacts for anyone to see or touch, all are secure now under lock and key.

Good post dog, things like those you mentioned and that I have mentioned will definitely make you more cautious about them.

Man, I bet you miss those points more than her!?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread