All Treasure Hunting

Chiltepin

Sep 25, 2017
Southwest US
Detector(s) used
BH Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Other
There's a great new book on Amazon about the ghost town Two Guns (between Flagstaff and Winslow) with a story in it about the Hash Knife Boys train robbery and the lost Wells Fargo treasure that came from it. You can check it out at bit.ly/TwoGuns1Mile
The train robbery was at Canyon Diablo. If your interested in poking around anywhere in Arizona I'll give you a few tips.

Use each of the counties GIS maps. State land will be a light blue colored sector on the maps.

Buy a "family" blm permit. Read the restrictions carefully for the permit.

Read the Arizona Antiquities Act which pertains to state land.

Have fun and Enjoy the great state of Arizona.

Chiltepin

Sep 25, 2017
Southwest US
Detector(s) used
BH Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Other
I did a little bit of math based on the values of the robbery. Each man would have had to carry.

36.5 pounds of gold (based on $20 coin weight)

32 pounds of silver ( based on the weight of a 1889 silver dollar)

Did not calculate the weight of 250 thousand dollars per man. Due to different denominations.

Completely plausible for 4 men on horses. But the admission of one of the robbers saying that the guns and money were buried close to 2 guns site not very plausible. Due to the terrain and being only 3 miles of separation. The people on the train had at least a 3 mile view.

Would you bury your spoils within view of the train you just robbed?

FloodcityTom

Jun 25, 2020
West Va
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher gold Bug, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I did a little bit of math based on the values of the robbery. Each man would have had to carry.
yweight)

32 pounds of silver ( based on the weight of a 1889 silver dollar)

Did not calculate the weight of 250 thousand dollars per man. Due to different denominations.

Completely plausible for 4 men on horses. But the admission of one of the robbers saying that the guns and money were buried close to 2 guns site not very plausible. Due to the terrain and being only 3 miles of separation. The people on the train had at least a 3 mile view.

Would you bury your spoils within view of the train you just robbed?
Perhaps not but I think it plausible, depends on terrain, time of day light conditions, position of the sun etc. Loaded thus It might have only taken the bandits well under 10 minutes to go 3 miles at a good canter, get off the horses behind an outcrop of rock or a little sunken indentation in the land, throw the loot under an outcropping, cover hastily with some rocks and lead the horses off, remount and be off. A man on a horse has his head 7 1/2 to 8 feet off the ground depending on his height and the horses, getting down on the ground he is what? 5'8 or so average? How well can someone see a man those two various heights, mounted or dismounted with the unaided eye at 3 miles even in open terrain? Add in the other factors and it is entirely plausible

Chiltepin

Sep 25, 2017
Southwest US
Detector(s) used
BH Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Other
Perhaps not but I think it plausible, depends on terrain, time of day light conditions, position of the sun etc. Loaded thus It might have only taken the bandits well under 10 minutes to go 3 miles at a good canter, get off the horses behind an outcrop of rock or a little sunken indentation in the land, throw the loot under an outcropping, cover hastily with some rocks and lead the horses off, remount and be off. A man on a horse has his head 7 1/2 to 8 feet off the ground depending on his height and the horses, getting down on the ground he is what? 5'8 or so average? How well can someone see a man those two various heights, mounted or dismounted with the unaided eye at 3 miles even in open terrain? Add in the other factors and it is entirely plausible
The robbery happened at 10:30pm March 20th. That night was 3 days after the full moon so 90 percent moon light. I don't know what the weather was cloudy, clear ? I don't know. I can tell you the terrain is flat, bushes or no more than ankle high and would be dormant in March. The soil is very light colored loam. Trees are almost non existent in that area.

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The train robbery was at Canyon Diablo. If your interested in poking around anywhere in Arizona I'll give you a few tips.

Use each of the counties GIS maps. State land will be a light blue colored sector on the maps.

Buy a "family" blm permit. Read the restrictions carefully for the permit.

Read the Arizona Antiquities Act which pertains to state land.

Have fun and Enjoy the great state of Arizona.
I do not think you need a BLM permit, but perhaps you meant to say State Trust land permit.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
The robbery happened at 10:30pm March 20th. That night was 3 days after the full moon so 90 percent moon light. I don't know what the weather was cloudy, clear ? I don't know. I can tell you the terrain is flat, bushes or no more than ankle high and would be dormant in March. The soil is very light colored loam. Trees are almost non existent in that area.
Taking my son to Canyon Diablo this weekend. Been to Two Guns a few times, but never ventured up the 3 mile road. ANything I really need to make sure i see while there? :-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions