Two items found among Civil war relics. What are they?

flintchip

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello to everyone. This is my first post and I accidently put it in the Help forum to begin with. So, here goes nothing. I recently found these two relics while digging an old foundation that has produced many Civil War relics. Among them are Eagle's, Eagle I's, and a Louisiana militia button. Also found was a Model 1851 sword belt plate and many porcelain buttons. If anyone has any idea's on what the items pictured are, I would appreciate your comments. Both are brass. I believe the two oval things are some type of beads and the long spoon looking item is some type of measuring device since it has what looks like a shovel on one end. Thank you.

Attachments

• DSC03136.JPG
    DSC03136.JPG
    338.1 KB · Views: 260
  • DSC03134.JPG
    DSC03134.JPG
    758.6 KB · Views: 1,046
Last edited:

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Item one looks like jewelry beads.

Is the round part of item two flat or is it like a spoon? It looks homemade.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

flintchip

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The round part is pretty much flat. It has very good symmetry so if it's homemade the person who made it really knew what they were doing.

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WElCOME Flint to the forum! Are the 2 bead like items made of brass? If not, what? Breezie

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

flintchip

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the welcome. The two beads are made of brass. They are thin and hollow.

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for the welcome. The two beads are made of brass. They are thin and hollow.

Flint, those types of brass beads are called 'fluted' because they have ridges. Those beads have been made for many years, and they are still making them. Nice finds, Breezie
FLUTED_BRASS_BEAD_1.jpg

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How deep is the scoop part of the "shovel" item? It could be a piece of chocolate tongs...but those are usually Victorian era and highly decorative. Is it cast brass or stamped brass?

Regards,

Buckles

P.S.--I'd love to see a photo of that Louisiana button when you get a chance.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

flintchip

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like stamped brass to me and I can't see any sign of another tong being attached. The scoop is about 1/4" deep. I'll try to get a picture of the button posted later. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Lee-MI-MI

Apr 3, 2005
Midland Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Fisher CZ-20/21
Looks like it may be from a field medical kit. Back then there were no pills or tablets to take. Everything was herbs or powders. This may have been a tool to scoop medical powders from containers and mix them with the flat blade portion for a special blend of powders.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

flintchip

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it may be from a field medical kit. Back then there were no pills or tablets to take. Everything was herbs or powders. This may have been a tool to scoop medical powders from containers and mix them with the flat blade portion for a special blend of powders.

I think your probably right. It would explain the purpose of both ends. Thank you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

flintchip

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How deep is the scoop part of the "shovel" item? It could be a piece of chocolate tongs...but those are usually Victorian era and highly decorative. Is it cast brass or stamped brass?

Regards,

Buckles

P.S.--I'd love to see a photo of that Louisiana button when you get a chance.

Here is a picture of the Louisiana button and another picture of two relics found within a couple of feet of it. 002.JPG 001.JPG

Upvote 0

Stand Watie

Mar 24, 2012
Greenwood SC
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks like stamped brass to me and I can't see any sign of another tong being attached. The scoop is about 1/4" deep. I'll try to get a picture of the button posted later. Thank you.

I've been looking at that object for a while trying to think what it could possibly be. It never occurred to me that it could be some sort of medical device. But now that you've mentioned it I think that makes a lot of sense. Could the "shovel" end be for what you mentioned, a type of powder medicine dispenser, and the flat round end be a tongue depressor? Just a thought.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

flintchip

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been looking at that object for a while trying to think what it could possibly be. It never occurred to me that it could be some sort of medical device. But now that you've mentioned it I think that makes a lot of sense. Could the "shovel" end be for what you mentioned, a type of powder medicine dispenser, and the flat round end be a tongue depressor? Just a thought.

People's imaginations never stop amazing me. Yes, it could have been used, if need be, as a tongue depressor. Wow! I would have never thought of that in a million years. Thank you.

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That LA button is a great find. And the sword belt plate ain't too shabby either! Thanks for sharing.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread