Two Jersey Coppers, a Large Cent and an awesome iron shoe buckle!

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone! It's been a while since I've posted, but my finds from a recent permission felt worthy of sharing.
The first thing I need to explain is that currently (in 2022) the site I hunted was not an obviously good location. But in 2016 - and even back into the 1700's - there was a house at this location. The maps of my area show it, but what's even cooler is that Google Maps' "Street View' feature shows it using this sort of time machine function. Check it out:
(story continues below video)

I used to drive by this house before the current owners tore it down (no regard for history1) and built their monstrosity of a mansion. BUT - the new owner was cool and didn't care if I detected down by the road where the old house used to be.

On the first day 15 minutes into the hunt I found the 1828 Large Cent pictured below. It's not in the greatest shape but at least I could identify it. I also found 2 buttons that first day (not pictured). I could only spend about an hour the first day, so I didn't cover much ground.

On the second day 15 minutes into the hunt (again) I found the first New Jersey Copper. I didn't know what it was until I got it home. Careful cleaning revealed that the coin was sadly in poor shape, but the expert I know from another source (first name Don - maybe some of you know him?) was able to ID it as a 1787 Maris 43-d, a very common variety.
I decided to apply a small amount of Classic Coin Conditioner using a very fine paint brush to just the highlight/relief areas. What do you think of this sort of highlighting?

Today was the 3rd day I visited the site, and the first hour was frustrating. I found basically nothing of note. But on my way back to the truck I passed through the area where the first NJ Copper was found, and - bang - another good signal, and another large copper. I didn't dare try to touch it in the field so I brought it home with dirt still caked on it (you can see this in the purple picture below). Next to the coin I also found a thimble and nearby there was an oval iron shape.
More on the coin in a minute, but the oval iron item appears to be a shoe or knee buckle from the 1700's. I didn't know they made them out of iron?!? (I thought they were all brass). Any suggestions for how to remove the rust? (So far I used a Dremel with wire wheel.)

As for the coin, I took between 1 and 2 hours to clean meticulously and that effort paid off with a New Jersey Copper that has a lot more detail. Don-the-expert quickly ID'd this one as a 1786 Maris 17-b, a rather scarce variety (he's only seen fourteen of them in his study).
Question: should I apply Classic Coin Conditioner to the highlights, or leave it alone?

Thanks for checking out this long post!
- Brian

IMG_1577.jpg

IMG_1576.jpg

IMG_1597.jpg

IMG_1598.jpg

IMG_1596.jpg

IMG_1600.jpg

IMG_1649.jpg

IMG_1660.jpg

IMG_1659.jpg

S20220611_003.jpg

S20220611_001.jpg

Upvote 26

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi everyone! It's been a while since I've posted, but my finds from a recent permission felt worthy of sharing.
The first thing I need to explain is that currently (in 2022) the site I hunted was not an obviously good location. But in 2016 - and even back into the 1700's - there was a house at this location. The maps of my area show it, but what's even cooler is that Google Maps' "Street View' feature shows it using this sort of time machine function. Check it out:

I used to drive by this house before the current owners tore it down (no regard for history1) and built their monstrosity of a mansion. BUT - the new owner was cool and didn't care if I detected down by the road where the old house used to be.

On the first day 15 minutes into the hunt I found the 1828 Large Cent pictured below. It's not in the greatest shape but at least I could identify it. I also found 2 buttons that first day (not pictured). I could only spend about an hour the first day, so I didn't cover much ground.

On the second day 15 minutes into the hunt (again) I found the first New Jersey Copper. I didn't know what it was until I got it home. Careful cleaning revealed that the coin was sadly in poor shape, but the expert I know from another source (first name Don - maybe some of you know him?) was able to ID it as a 1787 Maris 43-d, a very common variety.
I decided to apply a small amount of Classic Coin Conditioner using a very fine paint brush to just the highlight/relief areas. What do you think of this sort of highlighting?

Today was the 3rd day I visited the site, and the first hour was frustrating. I found basically nothing of note. But on my way back to the truck I passed through the area where the first NJ Copper was found, and - bang - another good signal, and another large copper. I didn't dare try to touch it in the field so I brought it home with dirt still caked on it (you can see this in the purple picture below). Next to the coin I also found a thimble and nearby there was an oval iron shape.
More on the coin in a minute, but the oval iron item appears to be a shoe or knee buckle from the 1700's. I didn't know they made them out of iron?!? (I thought they were all brass). Any suggestions for how to remove the rust? (So far I used a Dremel with wire wheel.)

As for the coin, I took between 1 and 2 hours to clean meticulously and that effort paid off with a New Jersey Copper that has a lot more detail. Don-the-expert quickly ID'd this one as a 1786 Maris 17-b, a rather scarce variety (he's only seen fourteen of them in his study).
Question: should I apply Classic Coin Conditioner to the highlights, or leave it alone?

- Brian

View attachment 2031544
View attachment 2031545

View attachment 2031548
View attachment 2031549
View attachment 2031546

View attachment 2031547
View attachment 2031554

View attachment 2031550

View attachment 2031551

View attachment 2031552

View attachment 2031553

Awesome finds for sure. Thanks for posting them and congratulations!

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the 2 New Jersey coppers. So far in 20 years of detecting I have not found any state coppers so you have done well. In my opinion you have enough detail on the second one to easily identify it so leave it alone. You can always work on it later if you change your mind or have it professionally cleaned, but once you start messing with them you can’t undo it and sometimes the results are not what we expect.

Good post, great job, stay safe, good luck with the rest of the property and keep swingin.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love those New Jersey coppers! Whether or not to use the coin conditioner is up to you, whichever look you prefer. I'd just leave them be.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

- Brian

View attachment 2031544
View attachment 2031545

View attachment 2031548
View attachment 2031549
View attachment 2031546

View attachment 2031547
View attachment 2031554

View attachment 2031550

View attachment 2031551

View attachment 2031552

View attachment 2031553

great finds all around, thanks for posting

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great bunch of finds, congrats!
For the buckle, I would use electrolysis to clean it up. Personally for coins, I like them to be as easy to see the details as possible for my own enjoyment. If I wanted to be 'a collector of fine coins' I certainly wouldn't be out there digging them up.

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds! Too bad the soil there eats up the copper. I use coin care on all the Jerseys that I find. I try to get it on before the soil dries out. Don is really good with ID's. Down here in South Jersey I try to stay in the white sugar sand so I don't cry as much when I pull out the old coppers!

Nov 25, 2018
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

- Brian

View attachment 2031544
View attachment 2031545

View attachment 2031548
View attachment 2031549
View attachment 2031546

View attachment 2031547
View attachment 2031554

View attachment 2031550

View attachment 2031551

View attachment 2031552