Two Loafers,find large cent and silver!

dieharddigger

Dec 1, 2006
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/E-Trac
Two Loafers,find large cent and silver!

Was up at 4:30 this morning making the 1 1/2 hr. trek to my buddy Dave's(aka:Stu Pedasso on T-net) house! We had the day planned to go detecting and bottle digging. We met up at an 1870's church that Dave had permission to dig. We probed for a while without finding a promissing pit so we decided to detect. We stayed for an hour,only finding some newer clad. Dave suggested we head for an empty lot he had permission on. He had detected here before and scored an 1865 2 center and a couple other decent finds. After wandering around for a while and digging countless tops and tabs,I got a nice penny/dime hit. Two inches down, I seen silver in the hole. Picked it up,hopeing for a merc and it turned out to be a well worn 1902 barber.
Well I was feeling pretty smug now as Dave had not found anything. I think we always have a friendly coin shootout even though it goes unsaid. Who can get the best,most and oldest. We stayed for a while longer,not finding any other keepers.
Dave,being the true friend that he is said we should go down the river bank to his G.A.R. medal cache site. To get to this site you have to be part mountain goat. We got to the site and cleared a bunch of leaf litter and branches out of the way. I found about three medals,still waiting for Dave to find his first! Then another penny/dime hit. Out pops a 1942 merc in decent shape. Go Stevie,go Stevie! What do you think of that Dave!
A couple minutes later Dave smash's my puny G.A.R. medal collection with the coolest G.A.R. medal I have ever seen! An eagle on crossed cannon's with a sabre in his claws.
Now it's gloves off,all out! Still another penny/dime hit and I find,what looks like another barber,holed and worn worse than the first one. Take that, Dave! I was putzing around the medal area and Dave was working down the bank a ways. A minute later he walks over with a closed hand. He drops into my open hand an awesome condition 1846 large cent! His fourth,I'm still waiting for my first. Allright,I give up,you win! He says,come on over,there has to be more. There was more,his next coin was a nice 1945 merc. We stayed on the bank for a couple hours finding only a few wheat cent's. We finished out the day back on the empty lot not finding any more keeper's.
When I got home I started cleaning some of the other stuff I found. One piece was a weird shape and flat. I washed it and it turned out to be a printing plate for FREEMAN Shoe's. Kinda cool. I cleaned the holed dime and it turned out to be an 1841? seated! Not positive about the date,though. It's in very bad shape,but still a first for me.
Dave,thanks for having me,and thanks for letting me detect on your cache site! and congrat's on that LC!

Attachments

• 1846.jpg
    1846.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 378
  • cannon.jpg
    cannon.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 384
  • DSC04790.jpg
    DSC04790.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 368
  • group.jpg
    group.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 380
  • 2007 finds 010.jpg
    2007 finds 010.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 362
  • 2007 finds 012.jpg
    2007 finds 012.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 374
  • 2007 finds 011.jpg
    2007 finds 011.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 367
  • 2007 finds.jpg
    2007 finds.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 366
  • 2007 finds 008.jpg
    2007 finds 008.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 364
  • 2007 finds 009.jpg
    2007 finds 009.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 370
  • 2007 finds 025.jpg
    2007 finds 025.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 370
Upvote 0

kg6yll

Oct 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Re: Two Loafers,find large cent and silver!

You had a great day. Nice pictures. Love those coins.

KG6YLL

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.

Very Kool finds. Love the large cent and the silver. HH
Bob

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Excellent finds you two! Great post!

HH!
TBGO

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

WOW! Now those are some cool finds! Way to go and congrats to you two boys for having a fun day!

HH,
Moon

panzermeyer

Jul 27, 2004
The Great White North
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum Tesoro Tiger Shark

wow !! Totally freakin' nice finds.That eagle with crossed cannons is a beauty ! HH..Panz

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread