Two nice bells, one hole.

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went back to the woods this week before the snowfall to the area where I found my 1700s coin spill this month. I found a small padlock, which I believe is early- to mid- 1800s. There is some sort of clasp still attached to the shank. I also found two bells in one hole in a walled-in area. I thought it was going to be a can, but dug it because the area has so little trash; glad I did. You can see one of the bells still in the hole in my outdoor picture. Some call these conestoga bells, but I am not sure if that’s what these are. I am thinking late 1800s or early 1900s, but would appreciate any ideas. The clapper is still attached to the shinier one, which sounds great. I attached a two second video if you want to hear it. The snow has ended my detecting for now. Good luck to those of you who can still dig.
BDB56631-C19D-47EC-8410-6153DD5006CF.jpeg
6AE3FD3F-F339-4A41-9F4A-AC8ADCF77E1B.jpeg
16CB51BC-52FF-4DA1-A630-C5F144303002.jpeg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    2.2 MB
Upvote 34

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice bells- Congrats! Plenty of snow down here on the Cape too- C'mon spring!

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey! Great finds! Congratulations! Thanks for sharing.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to the woods this week before the snowfall to the area where I found my 1700s coin spill this month. I found a small padlock, which I believe is early- to mid- 1800s. There is some sort of clasp still attached to the shank. I also found two bells in one hole in a walled-in area. I thought it was going to be a can, but dug it because the area has so little trash; glad I did. You can see one of the bells still in the hole in my outdoor picture. Some call these conestoga bells, but I am not sure if that’s what these are. I am thinking late 1800s or early 1900s, but would appreciate any ideas. The clapper is still attached to the shinier one, which sounds great. I attached a two second video if you want to hear it. The snow has ended my detecting for now. Good luck to those of you who can still dig.
. View attachment 2006822 View attachment 2006823 View attachment 2006824
Nice. Interesting finds.

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wish I could help you with the dates. Awesome finds for sure and I love that pad lock!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! Congrats!!! Cool old lock and bells!!!

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice bells- Congrats! Plenty of snow down here on the Cape too- C'mon spring!
Thanks! At least you have the beaches, right? Two feet of snow here, so it might be a while for me.

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice conestoga bells! Looks as tho that lock still has a snapped off key in it!
I was thinking the same thing at first, but now think it might be a component of the keyhole on this old style lock, but who knows. Thanks for commenting, and good luck out there.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERY NICE thanks for sharing

Cuda74

Jan 9, 2021
North Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec II, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Good job.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
super cool finds, two of my favorites to dig are locks and bells, well done x 3

OH..POPS

Dec 18, 2021
Medway Ohio
Detector(s) used
Pops old one
Garrett Ace 400
Bounty Hunter
Sharp Shooter II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really nice pair of bells. It does look as previous mentioned that it looks as if something is in the lock.
Congrats on your find

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really nice pair of bells. It does look as previous mentioned that it looks as if something is in the lock.
Congrats on your find
Thanks! I thought at first it was a broken key in the keyhole; however, I think this lock was made with some sort of iron pin in the keyhole, similar to this picture. Thanks for the comment and good luck out there. 0A4FB407-D13A-4BFD-8F05-9A3A872494EA.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread