Two quick door knock hunts...couple silver's

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• KIMG2308.JPG
    KIMG2308.JPG
    804.4 KB · Views: 156
Upvote 25

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son and I rode around yesterday, knocked on a few doors, got two permissions. I struggled to get over anything old except a couple wheaties. My son did get 2 Mercs, a badge of some kind, a 1919 dog tag, couple musket balls, etc.
Very Nice!!!! Congrats!!!!

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! I love the badge and dog tag!

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My son and I rode around yesterday, knocked on a few doors, got two permissions. I struggled to get over anything old except a couple wheaties. My son did get 2 Mercs, a badge of some kind, a 1919 dog tag, couple musket balls, etc.
hunting with my son would be awesome, maybe I can get some traction with the grandsons. Nice silver btw

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool finds including that interesting badge. Congratulations

RShackleford

Greenie
Aug 6, 2022
Nice finds and quality time. Can’t beat that. I am curious how you approach the door knocks to dig? I’m new to this snd so far have just been on my property. Would really appreciate any advice on how to approach this.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and quality time. Can’t beat that. I am curious how you approach the door knocks to dig? I’m new to this snd so far have just been on my property. Would really appreciate any advice on how to approach this.
First off, I will skip any house/yard that the owners clearly put in a lot of effort to yard manicure this time of year(wait until the grass dies for those). Next, start a conversation with them about the interest you have in their property and the age of it...a compliment on the house and property always helps. Next I explain our hobby and how I'm not just "digging holes"... I use a good metal detecting shovel to cut a half moon plug(where some grass roots are left attached) so as to prevent grass from dieing. I will then use a towel for any additional dirt that comes out of the hole. Very little sign of me being on a property when I'm done. Be prepared for the blunt "NO's" ....just move on to the next house. Also, be prepared for the owners to inquire about you finding something really valuable and how that situation will be handled. And always offer for them to see what you find ....many people are curious about what is on their property and may be curious enough to let you detect. Some days we get all no's....but some days we get all yes's. Hope this helps.

RShackleford

Greenie
Aug 6, 2022
First off, I will skip any house/yard that the owners clearly put in a lot of effort to yard manicure this time of year(wait until the grass dies for those). Next, start a conversation with them about the interest you have in their property and the age of it...a compliment on the house and property always helps. Next I explain our hobby and how I'm not just "digging holes"... I use a good metal detecting shovel to cut a half moon plug(where some grass roots are left attached) so as to prevent grass from dieing. I will then use a towel for any additional dirt that comes out of the hole. Very little sign of me being on a property when I'm done. Be prepared for the blunt "NO's" ....just move on to the next house. Also, be prepared for the owners to inquire about you finding something really valuable and how that situation will be handled. And always offer for them to see what you find ....many people are curious about what is on their property and may be curious enough to let you detect. Some days we get all no's....but some days we get all yes's. Hope this helps.
It definitely helps thank you. I think I will spend more time making sure I get clean plugs, and leaving no trace before I start. How do you handle the situations of finding something potentially valuable? Something not necessarily valuable but a cool find?

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It definitely helps thank you. I think I will spend more time making sure I get clean plugs, and leaving no trace before I start. How do you handle the situations of finding something potentially valuable? Something not necessarily valuable but a cool find?
If something is really valuable we usually agree to split the value... For example: if I were to find a civil war plate and we agree the value is $1500, I would either pay them $750 and keep it, or sale it and split the money.... It's really all you can fairly do in that situation. And I always return anything lost by the owners like rings, etc.

RShackleford

Greenie
Aug 6, 2022
If something is really valuable we usually agree to split the value... For example: if I were to find a civil war plate and we agree the value is $1500, I would either pay them $750 and keep it, or sale it and split the money.... It's really all you can fairly do in that situation. And I always return anything lost by the owners like rings, etc.
Makes good sense. Thank you again.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW AMAZING !!! what was your secret to finding places ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread