Two reduction flakes from a Plains Clovis assemblage

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
Platter core reduction flakes from a Plains Clovis assemblage

Two examples of thin flat Clovis bifacial core reduction flakes from a platter type core. The thinner flake is a fairly consistent 3 mm thick except at the bulb. The second flake was refitted from two pieces. It has some fine edge retouch and I assume broke during use as a cutting tool.

The lithic source is Flattop Chalcedony from north eastern Colorado and the documented Clovis site is in north central Kansas. The reason I find these two particular flakes to be interesting is because they provide evidence that this Clovis band still had large bifacial cores in their possession even though they were nearly three hundred miles away from the FTC source.

Attachments

• 001b.jpg
    001b.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 005a.jpg
    005a.jpg
    548 KB · Views: 39
  • 009a.jpg
    009a.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 012a.jpg
    012a.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 014a.jpg
    014a.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
My favorite lithic. Please post more of your collection. I know you have lots of good stuff to show....

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve had experience with was called plate chalcedony from the flint hills, I recall it being somewhat blue, is this different from flattop?

OP
OP
11KBP

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
I’ve had experience with was called plate chalcedony from the flint hills, I recall it being somewhat blue, is this different from flattop?

Are you referring to the Kansas Flint Hills?

I have found numerous artifacts made of the Kansas Flint Hills Permian cherts but I am not familiar with a plate chalcedony from the Kansas Flint Hills region.
The only plate chalcedony sources I am familiar with are those from the Nebraska & Dakota badlands.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
358A0FF5-3FC9-48C6-BF37-609AC32E3C1D.jpeg

My Flattop chalcedony frame.

Edit. The plate chalcedony that I can directly identify has been worked onto more of backed knife kind of piece

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As always a good post and it is nice seeing you again. Hope all is well.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you referring to the Kansas Flint Hills?

I have found numerous artifacts made of the Kansas Flint Hills Permian cherts but I am not familiar with a plate chalcedony from the Kansas Flint Hills region.
The only plate chalcedony sources I am familiar with are those from the Nebraska & Dakota badlands.

I couldn’t tell you, I remember liking the material and being told it was from the flint hills, being in a ku collection I just assumed they meant in Kansas but it’s very possible they were from farther north. It looks like some of fats pieces are more blue like I remember... it’s been 10-12 years now.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
27A2A5D7-6646-4A11-B077-ED6AC6C6A61F.jpeg 317F2249-8715-43A9-A1F2-F1AF358D9601.jpeg Not blue... translucent Red to White and all shades in between.

Last edited:
OP
OP
11KBP

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains

Fat's frame of Flattop Chalcedony (FTC) material provides a very good example of the FTC color range.

Flattop Chalcedony Description:

"A typical piece of Flattop chalcedony is lavender gray with a dull luster and small white inclusions. It may be opaque or translucent, and the color range includes white, gray, brown, lavender, pink, and reddish purple. The gray and lavender shades are by far the most common and possess the best flaking qualities. White, purple, or red banding or inclusions may be present, especially in the gray-lavender color range. The texture varies from fine grained to waxy, with the more translucent pieces being the smoothest."
(American Antiquity 1993, Vol. 58, No. 4)

The most aesthetic colors fall in the translucent pink to lavender shades as seen in this image of a FTC cobble and projectile point.

Attachments

• DSCN7914f.jpg
    DSCN7914f.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 32

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread