Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The weather continues to cooperate in Massachusetts, and I was able to get out detecting for a few hours yesterday. I tried a new spot that is notable for a fairly deep ravine with a stream running through it. My first decent target was a ring. I rarely ever come across rings in the woods so I was quite happy. There are no markings, but it appears to be gold , with a small cameo mounted on top. The cameo is of a standing figure, possibly made from mother of pearl.

DSC01791.JPG DSC01783.JPG DSC01802.JPG

After another 30 minutes I hit a booming high tone that turned out to be a 1844 LC. After some initial cleaning, it appears to be in great shape.

DSC01785.JPG DSC01794.JPG DSC01799.JPG

Finally, as I was working my way back to the car, I came across another ring. Never have I found two rings on one hunt. There is some clear tarnishing/ corrosion on the ring so I'm guessing it's gold plated. Markings on the inside of the band are "18", and then a crown. This seems odd to me. If anyone has an opinion about the age of either ring, I'd love to hear it.

DSC01788.JPG DSC01805.JPG

Thanks for taking a look! HH.

Upvote 25

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Simply the fact that you're able to get out at this time of year is amazing, the rings and LC are an extreme bonus- Congrats!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The weather continues to cooperate in Massachusetts, and I was able to get out detecting for a few hours yesterday. I tried a new spot that is notable for a fairly deep ravine with a stream running through it. My first decent target was a ring. I rarely ever come across rings in the woods so I was quite happy. There are no markings, but it appears to be gold , with a small cameo mounted on top. The cameo is of a standing figure, possibly made from mother of pearl.

View attachment 2066793 View attachment 2066794 View attachment 2066795

After another 30 minutes I hit a booming high tone that turned out to be a 1844 LC. After some initial cleaning, it appears to be in great shape.

View attachment 2066796 View attachment 2066797 View attachment 2066798

Finally, as I was working my way back to the car, I came across another ring. Never have I found two rings on one hunt. There is some clear tarnishing/ corrosion on the ring so I'm guessing it's gold plated. Markings on the inside of the band are "18", and then a crown. This seems odd to me. If anyone has an opinion about the age of either ring, I'd love to hear it.

View attachment 2066799 View attachment 2066800

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!!

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That certainly looks like an odd place to find a ring, but I guess you never know. I hope someone can give you some info on that cameo ring, as it is special for sure. That LC looks real nice too. This mild winter has been great for detecting. Congrats on the finds and continued good luck to you..

MD Ghost F75

Mar 27, 2022
Harford County, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Congrats on the finds. I have found quite a few brass rings in old farm fields and wooded homesites; all 1800’s properties. I once believed that the brass rings were sold to people who thought they were buying real gold and laughed all the way to the bank. Now I think its more likely that the rings were just a cheaper version of the gold ones and, from what I’ve read, the plated brass rings are quite durable. Like you, I was also confused with the 18k stamp.

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

dig deeper now

Jul 10, 2013
fulltiming rv'er anywhere in the 48 states
Detector(s) used
Safari MINELAB, minelab pin pointer,lesche left sided teeth ,Lowe's short shovel,12'' sand scoop 5x9 in. 2900 battery
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Try following the stream on both sides for a ways, someone camped or road a horse that way or could be went fishing there in the stream and sat to have lunch, how that 2 cent coin got in the woods.

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love that cameo ring! That's a great find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions