Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMG_2138.jpg
IMG_2141.JPG
IMG_2140.jpg

My friend is a Vietnam veteran who served in the artillery. His Virginia land saw action over 150 years before. The finds were sparse but when I finally snuck up on a good relic, I was so happy to see this come up out of the sand. I wanted to confirm his beliefs about what happened on his family property. He had been following me with a stool to rest and watch me hunt (his knees aren't what they should be). I dug this up, turned to him and said, "You served your country in the artillery. From one artillaryman to another, 150 years apart, this is his gift and gratitude to you. And I also thank you for your service." He told me to keep it, but I said, I'd rather YOU have it. The next day, he told me he had stayed up half the night researching the back mark and he told me everything there was to know about Horstmann. I wouldn't take 50 bucks for this little experience.

Upvote 29

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2010216 View attachment 2010215 View attachment 2010214

My friend is a Vietnam veteran who served in the artillery. His Virginia land saw action over 150 years before. The finds were sparse but when I finally snuck up on a good relic, I was so happy to see this come up out of the sand. I wanted to confirm his beliefs about what happened on his family property. He had been following me with a stool to rest and watch me hunt (his knees aren't what they should be). I dug this up, turned to him and said, "You served your country in the artillery. From one artillaryman to another, 150 years apart, this is his gift and gratitude to you. And I also thank you for your service." He told me to keep it, but I said, I'd rather YOU have it. The next day, he told me he had stayed up half the night researching the back mark and he told me everything there was to know about Horstmann. I wouldn't take 50 bucks for this little experience.
That’s an excellent find, and a genuine class move on your part in giving it to your friend!

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is a touching story.
Thank you for sharing this :)

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice!!! Congrats!!!!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:headbang::hello2::notworthy: 1/41 Field Artillery, 56th FAB, US Army, 1973-'76

OP
OP
parsonwalker

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:headbang::hello2::notworthy: 1/41 Field Artillery, 56th FAB, US Army, 1973-'76
Terry - Please know that those of us who didn't have to go, have a great admiration and respect for those of you who DID. You have my personal gratitude as well.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great Save and Find on the CW Eagle A Artillery button. That was a Class Act move on your part to gift this relic to your veteran buddy. What a story. Some 150 years apart, your friend went to Southeast Asia to fight in a war serving in the Artillery. This Historic relic came from his own piece of property dropped or lost by a fellow Artilleryman from the CW, from the U.S. Army, again, some 150 years prior. Thanks for sharing this story. Job Well Done sir

OH..POPS

Dec 18, 2021
Medway Ohio
Detector(s) used
Pops old one
Garrett Ace 400
Bounty Hunter
Sharp Shooter II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your one of the few who has a great heart and really make me have faith that there more out there like you.
Thank You

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

love that find, love the story even more. thanks for posting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions