Two U.S. Buckles!!!

tokens70

Apr 9, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cibola, Explorer 2
I really hope it's ok to post these in today's finds, because they were actually found a while back8-) I was in shock when my brother sent me a pic txt of a U.S. oval with all hooks intact:hello2: Then, not even 15 minutes later he calls me and tells me he's found another, along with a 12" seat saddle shield!!! I am very happy for him!!! Even though I ended up buying them from him:headbang: I would call that a fantastic day in anyone's book:thumbsup: Anyway, I hope no one is upset about me posting these in today's finds...if so, I do apologize. It's just too good of a day of detecting not to post:hello: I am posting pictures of the buckles when they were first dug, and pictures of the after I gave them a good cleaning:icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• 108.png
    108.png
    70.5 KB · Views: 190
  • 110.png
    110.png
    110.8 KB · Views: 174
  • 112.png
    112.png
    92 KB · Views: 192
  • 111.png
    111.png
    67.6 KB · Views: 182
  • 109.png
    109.png
    108.5 KB · Views: 206
Upvote 14
OP
OP
tokens70

tokens70

Apr 9, 2009
Detector(s) used
Cleaned up pictures 001.JPG

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very sweet. Two in a day. Gotta be smiling :)

OP
OP
tokens70

tokens70

Apr 9, 2009
Detector(s) used
Absolutely:occasion14:

Nov 19, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Two! They are in great condition too! How did your brother get the front so clean? I am afraid to clean the one I found. I have only used some water and a tooth brush. Congrats to your brother on the spectacular find!

Last edited:

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is an unforgettable day, finding two in a row. Thanks for sharing.

WNCsweeper

Aug 4, 2013
Asheville, NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core Pro pack × 2
Nokta Pointer
Rattler head phones
Lesche digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible....two in one day now that has to be rare as hens teeth. That's what civil war relic hunting dreams are made of. Thanks for sharing.

Gary1963

Jan 3, 2013
Lynchburg, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx 3030 XP Deus Garrett Pin Pointer
Phiranna
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding!! Even if it wasn't found today. Congrats to your Bro.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible! The shield tag alone would've made my day.

CityDigger

Dec 30, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Garrett AT Pro
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Unreal. Looks like they've been in a box for 100 yrs. Great condition!

OP
OP
tokens70

tokens70

Apr 9, 2009
Detector(s) used
Thank you all for the nice comments on this post:hello: I love the shield as well :) I will pass along all the kind comments to my brother, he will think it's really cool that his finds had so many replies!! About the cleaning...when I received the buckles, they were still covered and caked with dirt:laughing7: He pretty much doesn't clean anything, even with an old toothbrush and soap and water:icon_thumleft: I wanted them cleaned, but of course, wanted the patina intact. I'm sure some of you will be shocked or frown on my methods of cleaning, but it works...you just have to be very careful...and extremely patient. I cleaned these buckles with nothing more than an x-acto knife with a very sharp blade and a dremel, using a carbon steel wire brush. I know it sounds crazy, but I have successfully cleaned many heavily corroded artifacts using this method and leaving the patina intact. This is why you would need a great deal of patience, if not, you could very easily ruin a beautiful relic. Thanks again to everyone for posting, Chris:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread