jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I read once where one of the spring break destinations in Florida did this about a decade or 2 ago :(.
as soon as they see someone is making money the little wheels start turning :(

and it's not to run out, buy a camera and work for some too.

the Educated DO ! the Uneducated remember how easy it seemed to be for the lunch money thief in school :coffee2:

Last edited:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
unconstitutional. In fact so much so If I was closer and had more time and money, I would consider talking to a lawyer trying to get caught purposefully at this in order to sue. there are many related cases already for public property and protected 1st amendment activities. (including things like police stations and towns who have attempted this on their streets). This seems like one of the bluff laws that they put out to scare people until someone challenges it in court.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got to the 14 min. and I heard enough.

Though I'm thinking if a person was somewhere on Federal Property, taking a selfie video of themselves and someone put a bullet through the "Brain Dead's Head" and this was recorded.

What would they have to say, if the person said sorry-I can't show this to you.
It would be used for commercial purposes-court/lawyers/judges/bailiffs/sheriffs/FBI/Leo's/forensics the list of folks in the media, all making money off this evidence.

Meanwhile they get a $1000 fine and 6 months in the joint.

Nope not going to happen.

Play by the rule book-you make it-you live by it.
We'z good-you change the rules-you get the video.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's been illegal to film on federal property for commercial purposes without a permit since at least 1976 and probably long before. Any commercial use of federal lands or facilities requires a permit and usually a bond as well. Nothing illegal or unconstitutional about it. The Constitution doesn't protect commercial activity.

Your selfies or home movies are not commercial photography. Look and film all you want as long as it's for personal use.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been illegal to film on federal property for commercial purposes without a permit since at least 1976 and probably long before. Any commercial use of federal lands or facilities requires a permit and usually a bond as well. Nothing illegal or unconstitutional about it. The Constitution doesn't protect commercial activity.

Your selfies or home movies are not commercial photography. Look and film all you want as long as it's for personal use.
of course it's for those making money. I Stand by my belief though . Greed ! if you find a way to Earn Money, They not only want
wage Taxes, They want every Cent they can get, as long as they don't need to work

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
btw as look as time moves forward those home movies & selfies are becoming more popular. Don't be surprised if
somewhere down the line, a License of some type must be Purchased to Buy, & Sell home photos & Movies .

I Think Right now you would need to have a Business first,
to Owe then Money. but will it always be that Way ? ???

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wonder when they'll start charging Google a permit fee for the pics they use on Google Earth? I'm sure Google pays for the satellite pics, but doubt they have any kind of "permit".
Jim

oldmxrat

Silver Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's time for a major trimming of our rotten and bloated government, administered by incompetent lackeys and bullies.
The parks belong to us, has that been forgotten?

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Screen Shot 2022-11-30 at 11.20.19 AM.jpg
Cackle as you will, Jeff. I personally have great appreciation for the protection of our national parks. The last thing they need is to be trashed by commercial endeavors.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2057684
Cackle as you will, Jeff. I personally have great appreciation for the protection of our national parks. The last thing they need is to be trashed by commercial endeavors.
Even KFC ? :tongue3:

If it opens it to Detecting, I'm Good :coffee2::treasurechest:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All governments charge for the commercial use of their property. The feds are some of the easier ones to deal with. The person in the video could get a permit to film in Lake Mead by filling out the National Park Service commercial permit application. For a simple selfie film like he is making the cost would be $0, zilch, nada, zero - no money.

Back in the 1980's I had to pay $5,000 dollars with a $500,000 bond to take one picture on the steps of Los Angles city hall. I'm guessing they would charge 10 times that now. If I just wanted to take a picture of a friend on those steps it's free and no permit required.

The National Parks do not belong to the people. (See 1976 FLPMA Act) They were specifically withdrawn from the public lands by Congress when they were created. The whole point was to protect them from destructive forms of commercial use. The same is true of National Recreation Areas and National Seashores.

I don't make these laws and I'm not here to defend them but if you ignore them you may be surprised one day just like the video maker in the original post. Now you know and so does he.

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 2057684
Who said anything about being trashed , how does a picture trash the park ...? Americans bought and paid for every Federal Park in this country ....already

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Who said anything about being trashed , how does a picture trash the park ...? Americans bought and paid for every Federal Park in this country ....already
I believe you are probably intelligent enough to know what I mean. If not, that's a shame. And no, we didn't buy every National Park.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread