Ugh ebay buyers!!!

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 things.... If USPS is like Canada post there's not really much point adding insurance on a lower priced item for a suspect buyer because you need him to participate in the claims process and if he ripped you off you know that ain't going to happen. A signature is what you want, insurance is pointless. And 2nd the post office loses way less than 1%. 1% would be an absolutely insane number going missing every day. I would say it's more like 1 or 2 in 500 and not necessarily from being lost... in the accidental sense.

It is like that with the USPS. Both parties have to be willing to participate. If a seller thinks I'm going to mess around waiting in line at the USPS dealing with insurance over $50, they're a funny seller.

Signature is what is useful.

I would be an angry seller if they lost 1%. *knock on wood* But I've probably had 20,000 shipments over the past 10+ years. How many were lost in shipment? Zero, so far.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody ever tried "ShipCover" insurance, offered through eBay. It is a little less expensive and the refund process isn't nearly as bad as USPS (or so I've read). I pack very well, so I don't insure most items. I do use it on certain items (for peace of mind), though I haven't actually had to file a claim yet.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody ever tried "ShipCover" insurance, offered through eBay. It is a little less expensive and the refund process isn't nearly as bad as USPS (or so I've read). I pack very well, so I don't insure most items. I do use it on certain items (for peace of mind), though I haven't actually had to file a claim yet.

I didn't know you could cover through Ebay, but was aware about Auctiva. This is something I should look into for cost, especially the odd time I have something very expensive to ship and no good choices so risk it through Fedex. (Like over $2,000 not covered)

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't know you could cover through Ebay, but was aware about Auctiva. This is something I should look into for cost, especially the odd time I have something very expensive to ship and no good choices so risk it through Fedex. (Like over $2,000 not covered)
If you print your shipping labels through eBay and opt for insurance, it's actually the insurance default now. If you want to use USPS insurance you have to physically click it on. I found out accidently when I purchased insurance for an item once and my label didn't show any reference to it being insured. I then started looking into it and found out what the deal was. I haven't found any really bad reviews yet, other than basic stupidity from people that would cancel any claim, no matter the party used.

SvenS

Oct 13, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Makro products, as well as others. Self built Mirage PI's. The Mirage is excellent in trashy sites, unlike many PI's.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without actually seeing what you had listed or how many pictures you had, hard to see if the guy has something to complain about.
I generally have as many pictures as possible, clear, detailed showing any defects. People see what they read may not be reality, that's why many pictures can answer 100 questions.
You generally have to make sure you list like you did also, add "in need of repairs, auctioned as-is, no refunds". Make sure no refunds box is checked in your listing as well.
Paypal should be on your side in this matter.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Without actually seeing what you had listed or how many pictures you had, hard to see if the guy has something to complain about.
I generally have as many pictures as possible, clear, detailed showing any defects. People see what they read may not be reality, that's why many pictures can answer 100 questions.
You generally have to make sure you list like you did also, add "in need of repairs, auctioned as-is, no refunds". Make sure no refunds box is checked in your listing as well.
Paypal should be on your side in this matter.

Did you read all the comments between the OP's post and your own?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread