SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hunt partner Ken and I hit the Main Beach pretty early this morning to avoid the other Sunday Pirates. When we got down there I saw where they had taken up a large portion of the Boardwalk decking near the Merry-Go-Round. I got pretty excited at the site of all the virgin sand!! As I found a way around the chainlink fencing they had put up and was about to drop down onto all that potential, I hear a voice say.."Excuse me sir, you can't go in there."...!! It was the Boardwalk Security guy,damn!!
Trying my best "ah, come on buddy" look and voice did no good. All the potental for coins dropped thru the old wood boardwalk before they put a concrete cap on it foiled! Thought about a Night Operation, but they have 24 hour security. It's O.K. to hunt on the beach at night, but not up under the Boardwalk.
So, we just hit the beach for awhile and we each picked up a little clad and I found a couple of junker rings not worth posting a picture of. Ran into Evett and her husband Jim from San Jose. (how'd you guys end up doing??!?) All in all, it was a good day to be at the beach!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
As I told you on the Kinzli CA forum, it won't be much good under there, unless they dig sand out for some purpose (construction projects). Too much sterile sand washed under there during a few rogue storms over the years. The sand under there was susceptible to erosion and fill, just like sand outside the boardwalk (on the open beach), prior to the building of the yacht harbor in the 1960s. So just as old coins are only going to be found on the open beach dry sand after storms erode down to them, so too is it under the boardwalk: old coins are going to be super deep there too.

They did some dig-out projects in years past to make footing for amusement rides, and I got under there. The old coins that turned up came from incredible depths of like 6 ft. and more. Some good ones by the way, back to the 1800s, including a silver dollar.

In 1980, a ride was installed, and mountains of sand were left on the beach for mother nature to take away with the surf. The guys that got into that, got scores of oldies, including some silver dollars, and a gold coin!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread