Understanding "Authentic" in a literary sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There seems to be a great deal of misunderstanding in how the word ā€œauthenticā€ can be legitimately applied to a text that is an otherwise fictional story, so, I've decided to present you with an obvious example of how this can be done legitimately in a literary writing.

THE SCOOP PAPERS
Containing Authentic Statements In Regards To A Massive Treasure
That Was Buried In 1821 And That Still Lies Unrecovered Today.

In 1885 an unknown author published a short narrative allegedly detailing the events that resulted in the loss of a huge fortune in silver and gold and diamonds. I was there when all of these events took place.

In this narrative it is told that this treasure was put in hiding in Bedford, County, Virginia and that its exact location can be found once a mysterious cipher known as #1 is decoded. I have since decoded this cipher and am glad to report that I have already recovered all of the treasure.

The End

Now obviously my entire story is untrue yet my claim that it contains authentic statements still applies because it does, in fact, contain a couple of true statements, but only a couple. So clearly I have committed no wrong in making the claim that my short story contains authentic statements, yet my story is still obviously a fictional tale. Add to this that this short story is also an authentic work by me.

In regards to the Beale Papers the word "authentic" should not be mistakenly assumed to mean that the entire story itself is true and that all of the statements in the tale are also true. This mistaken assumption, in fact, would be the furthest thing from the truth. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Point is, weather by the intended design of a crafty author or pure happenstance the applied use of the word "authentic" on the cover of the pamphlet has certainly provided some all-to alluring additional bait to an already razor sharp hook. :thumbsup:

Cryptography

Banned
Jan 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There seems to be a great deal of misunderstanding in how the word ā€œauthenticā€ can be legitimately applied to a text that is an otherwise fictional story, so, I've decided to present you with an obvious example of how this can be done legitimately in a literary writing.

THE SCOOP PAPERS
Containing Authentic Statements In Regards To A Massive Treasure
That Was Buried In 1821 And That Still Lies Unrecovered Today.

In 1885 an unknown author published a short narrative allegedly detailing the events that resulted in the loss of a huge fortune in silver and gold and diamonds. I was there when all of these events took place.

In this narrative it is told that this treasure was put in hiding in Bedford, County, Virginia and that its exact location can be found once a mysterious cipher known as #1 is decoded. I have since decoded this cipher and am glad to report that I have already recovered all of the treasure.

The End

Now obviously my entire story is untrue yet my claim that it contains authentic statements still applies because it does, in fact, contain a couple of true statements, but only a couple. So clearly I have committed no wrong in making the claim that my short story contains authentic statements, yet my story is still obviously a fictional tale. Add to this that this short story is also an authentic work by me.

In regards to the Beale Papers the word "authentic" should not be mistakenly assumed to mean that the entire story itself is true and that all of the statements in the tale are also true. This mistaken assumption, in fact, would be the furthest thing from the truth. :thumbsup:

I think you whatch too much LifeTime TV Network. The word you may need to know is what a minister told me about some other topic a few years ago. The Word Is ( Sitz im Leben )

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
"Authentic" is often associated with a sales pitch to potential customers who don't subscribe to the "nothin's good without a good demonstration" including provenance, view.
A cheat of sorts by some who lack scruples, but a way to con a few crumbs before having to hide from challenges of credibility.
Lots of suckers out there.
The internet allows some hiding from being exposed, temporarily.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you whatch too much LifeTime TV Network. The word you may need to know is what a minister told me about some other topic a few years ago. The Word Is ( Sitz im Leben )

Crypto, my friend, are you certain that it is in your best interest to continue to invite the public dismembering and funeral of a tale that you have obviously invested a great deal of blind faith in? Is it wise of you, at this time, to continue to invite the mounting and inevitable onslaught that is certainly waiting? Perhaps, and this is just a suggestion, it would be best if you waited to inspire all of this inevitable contrary evidence and facts until after you get to where you hope to arrive in your planned journey? Maybe wait until you can at least prove that Thomas J. Beale existed in the context proclaimed and that an adventure of such nature really took place? :dontknow:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
After 130 years no one has been able to prove that Thomas Beale led an expedition or that a treasure existed outside of the job pamphlet.

Marauder1998

Jul 13, 2015
Alpena County, Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now, I thought someone found the Beale Treasure recently? If I remember correctly, there was a news headline on google when I searched "Beale Treasure" that said it was found.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now, I thought someone found the Beale Treasure recently? If I remember correctly, there was a news headline on google when I searched "Beale Treasure" that said it was found.

Years ago (back in the mid-90's) there was an internet claim of discovery that even included pictures of the gold tucked away in what appeared to be a dark cellar of some type. In this claim it was said that the treasure was found on Goose Creek. It was all very believable until researchers started picking the details apart, only then did the poster of the claim confess his fun and games. I don't know, it may still be out there in cyberspace somewhere?

In recent months there have been all sorts of claims, even including the discovery of the location of the 30 bodies. There are claims, and some of them even very detailed, how the Beale deposits were only part of a much larger collection of secret stashes. And the list goes on and on just as it always has. But in all of these claims there is one constant, that being that none of these claims contain any real evidence whatsoever in connection to the Beale story other then the claims themselves. I just got an email the other day from a researcher with a claim that he has found all of the bodies, all of the treasures, and the location of all of the mines. Problem is he's only found those things on paper and within his own manufactured theory. And as expected, he's even hunting interested producers and investors who want to be part of the big dig. Sound familiar?

If you look around you'll discover some extensive theories involving everything from the Freemasons, KGC, Francis Beacon, Laffite, and so on and so on but all of it extremely speculative in nature.

Cryptography

Banned
Jan 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crypto, my friend, are you certain that it is in your best interest to continue to invite the public dismembering and funeral of a tale that you have obviously invested a great deal of blind faith in? Is it wise of you, at this time, to continue to invite the mounting and inevitable onslaught that is certainly waiting? Perhaps, and this is just a suggestion, it would be best if you waited to inspire all of this inevitable contrary evidence and facts until after you get to where you hope to arrive in your planned journey? Maybe wait until you can at least prove that Thomas J. Beale existed in the context proclaimed and that an adventure of such nature really took place? :dontknow:

I may be new to this subject, but you are not very good at making your evidence believable . Just seems like a used car salesperson or a carny barker.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be new to this subject, but you are not very good at making your evidence believable . Just seems like a used car salesperson or a carny barker.

"New to the subject"....I think you hit the nail on the head, otherwise you might see things differently. And a great deal of it isn't my evidence, but rather it is the author's evidence - presented by him in his own words and details. I'm just pointing those details out. And there is what you're not accepting, that many of these details are actually from the author himself and not me. Think a little bit on that. :thumbsup:

Marauder1998

Jul 13, 2015
Alpena County, Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So it's still out there, then..I've dreamed, for years now, of one day setting up a team and finding that treasure...legally or illegally...that's not something you'd want to sell, if found. That's something you find, hide, and shut up haha

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
So it's still out there, then..I've dreamed, for years now, of one day setting up a team and finding that treasure...legally or illegally...that's not something you'd want to sell, if found. That's something you find, hide, and shut up haha

INDEED!

Cryptography

Banned
Jan 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sitz im Leben

A term employed by German Form Critics and one difficult to translate exactly into English. It denotes the social context or ā€˜life settingā€™ in which a narrative emerged. The point being made is that particular items in the OT can only be understood when they are related to the culture and social life of ancient Israel

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sitz im Leben

A term employed by German Form Critics and one difficult to translate exactly into English. It denotes the social context or ā€˜life settingā€™ in which a narrative emerged. The point being made is that particular items in the OT can only be understood when they are related to the culture and social life of ancient Israel

So now you're suggesting that the Beale Paper story, and the use of the word authentic, is somehow religious, or Israeli, in nature? I think this is quite a reach, even if you are only suggesting that the use of the chosen word held a cultural context or a context relevant to the setting. Even in 1885 author's had to be careful of the claims they made, and how they made them. So I think we're looking at that huge basket full eggs with only a couple of apples in it. "Here is a basket containing authentic apples." Like it or not, the statement is true, the basket does contain a couple of apples, though it is also packed full of eggs. :thumbsup:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Sitz im Leben

"OT"...? Eh...?

Cryptography

Banned
Jan 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So now you're suggesting that the Beale Paper story, and the use of the word authentic, is somehow religious, or Israeli, in nature? I think this is quite a reach, even if you are only suggesting that the use of the chosen word held a cultural context or a context relevant to the setting. Even in 1885 author's had to be careful of the claims they made, and how they made them. So I think we're looking at that huge basket full eggs with only a couple of apples in it. "Here is a basket containing authentic apples." Like it or not, the statement is true, the basket does contain a couple of apples, though it is also packed full of eggs. :thumbsup:

Wow, you drinking again or what?

Looking at the life setting of The Beale Papers 1885 and the leters to Mr Morriss 1820's.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, you drinking again or what?

Looking at the life setting of The Beale Papers 1885 and the leters to Mr Morriss 1820's.

Understood, but the problem is that we can't even validate those letters as being genuine or just pieces of additional bait constructed by the author in an otherwise fictional tale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread