Understanding US Archaeology

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
I know TN is about arrowheads more than about archaeology itself. But since you can't deal with artifacts without it, it ends up being directly involved, unavoidably.

I've run across an essay that makes sense of the rediculous conceptual mess in US archaeology. If you want to understand why basic fact is chronically misreported, misrepresented and censored, it is a must read.

I don't know how to link to it directly, but go to Grey Goose Chronicles and click on "Broken Open" in the articles list to read it. (There's an option to read the articles without subscribing, if youre hesitant). Many of them sound really interesting. (For that matter, you can also subscrbe for free, which I just did).

At the end of the day, the contest is always over who controls the narrative -- over which set of assumptions (esssentially, beliefs) gets to be the "this is what it all means "explanation of it.

FWIW

Last edited:
Upvote 5

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Long read, but a very interesting article, even to the uninitiated. I like
an author who's not afraid to call a duck, a duck.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's always been that way. If an archeologists presents a new theory related to his work in the field he/she is berated, ridiculed, ostracized, etc. Clovis 1st led the narrative for 50+ years and even though several top notch archeologists had confliting proof NA's had been here much earlier the narrative only changed after many dertactors dragging and kicking had to finally concede.

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
It's always been that way. If an archeologists presents a new theory related to his work in the field he/she is berated, ridiculed, ostracized, etc. Clovis 1st led the narrative for 50+ years and even though several top notch archeologists had confliting proof NA's had been here much earlier the narrative only changed after many dertactors dragging and kicking had to finally concede.
Except for those who find an unrepresented monkey tooth in a tiger cave and exclaim, “Eureka! a new human relative!”

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tn? Tennessee or Treasure Net UNI ? haha. No really a good read. People do not always understand that just because you are an Archeologist does not mean you are qualified in say... early man or stone tools. But their are a few that specialize in just this area. The good ones worked with collectors.
I remember when scrapers were called blunts or stunners and they thought to make an arrowhead you heated the stone dropped water on it to make a flake. All technology was lost.
We have come a long way though.
I often wonder about all the points I can not get an I.D on.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just to add to the conversation.... along the coast of Washington state there were 5 language FAMILIES coexisting with each other. Five language families, not languages. That is like a village of Koreans living next to a village of Bantus next to French next to Eskimos next to Hawaiians. But yet they are all classified as Amerind with the same genetic background. American archeology is in its infancy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread