Underwater metal detecting:

budrow

Feb 15, 2010
Hi Gang, this is Mudslinger and I'm new here just wanted to say hi before I open up a can of worms here. Does anybody know what the rules are for underwater metal detecting in Michigan like the great lakes? I just mean snorkeling with a metal detector or close to shore not scuba diving. I know that michigan laws are way more strict about possibly unearthing a rusty relic or something on state land.

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
Michigan believes that anything lost belongs to them. If it is underwater, it is theirs. If it is on the beach, it is theirs. If it is on public land, it is theirs. If it is on private land, it is the landowner's... everything else belongs to the indians.

The official answer I received was this: "You can metal detect where ever you like unless it is a protected area... and anything you did up cannot be taken... you must look at it and say how pretty it is, take a picture if you want one, and then put it back in the hole and cover it up."

I asked what were protected lands and she said: "Anything that is not privately owned is protected." When I pressed on about private beach areas, she said "There are NO private beaches in Michigan. All beaches and the lands leading up to the historical water line are protected state lands."

:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

tumbleinn2

Apr 24, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
WHITE"S SPECTRA V3i d2 coil 6x10 coil 5.3 coil super 12 surfmaster II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
State of Michigan any thing that is less than 100 years old if found on land is fair game. Any thing that is known to be over 100 years old belongs to the state of michigan. In the state of michigan federal land is 100% off limits keep out or get a ticket and loose your detector. Water is fair game if it not in an area were there is a shipwreck. public beaches fair game. Remember the 100 year rule and you will be just fine. also check michigan DNR for state parks that are open to hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread