paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just killing time in the horse field after chores; I've pounded the fields pretty hard up to now so it's really just clearing modern pieces like lost horseshoes and broken halters so the horses don't step on them. Plus the horses will usually follow me around and hover over my shoulder while I detect and that's pretty entertaining. Anyways, the recent rain cut a furrow and this was six inches down at the bottom. Up until now it must have been out of my detector's range.

DSC09895.JPG

My first guess is a copper trade arrowhead, but I can't find any online that are the same configuration so I'm not sure on that. The tip is slightly bent and the sides look like they had an edge to them if that helps at all. If I'm correct is there any way to estimate the age?

Upvote 14

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its a good one
1 casper2.jpg

Apr 11, 2013
Wyoming Valley. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say it looks like one. Its near impossible to find an exact match since these weren't mass produced and traded to the natives. Points like this one where made from brass or copper trade pots which the natives then cut and made into points .

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a unique find. I know nothing about copper points made by Native Americans but, it's really cool.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very cool find! :occasion14:

Bear archery (Fred Bear) put out some broadheads in the 60's that
had that shape, and the slot in the center was for attaching a "bleeder"
blade.

They weren't made out of copper, however..8-)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen and owned some in the past. Excellent find. They are not common.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pretty cool find

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say yes indeed! Looks like one of those "kettle" points they find in Connecticut.

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say yes indeed! Looks like one of those "kettle" points they find in Connecticut.

That's awesome; thanks you guys! This will go perfectly with the two stone points I found earlier this month! Also looks like I need to invest in a detector that goes down more than 8"; who knows what I'm missing. :laughing7:

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I'm reading online correctly kettle points would be 1600's correct? Or did they circulate for a while? I ask because this town was only settled in the later part of the 1750's so I'm wondering if this dates to before the town.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I'm reading online correctly kettle points would be 1600's correct? Or did they circulate for a while? I ask because this town was only settled in the later part of the 1750's so I'm wondering if this dates to before the town.
I would say this point predates the town. May have been an Indian village nearby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread