Unidentified Arrow Head believed to be found in New Jersey. Iroquois ?

Oct 30, 2021

Attachments

• IMG_4098.jpeg
    IMG_4098.jpeg
    894.8 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_4099.jpeg
    IMG_4099.jpeg
    835.8 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Upvote 5

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The wide, crudely formed notches remind me of a 'Normanskill' point.....around 5000 years old.....late Archaic age. Very nice piece. And in the right light....does that flint have a greenish tint? Could be 'Normanskill Chert' from nearby NY Greene County! Much older than Iroquois tribes....

Last edited:
OP
OP
A
Oct 30, 2021
The wide, crudely formed notches remind me of a 'Normanskill' point.....around 5000 years old.....late Archaic age. Very nice piece. And in the right light....does that flint have a greenish tint? Could be 'Normanskill Chert' from nearby NY Greene County! Much older than Iroquois tribes....
Hi OntarioArch,
Thank you for your response, it does have a slight green tint towards the base. Any suggestions how I could get this appraised, and if it is worth appraising?
Thanks again
Arrow H N

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's a nice piece. I'd say due to it's condition and likely a late archaic point as previously stated, it would only be worth around $20-$30. They have to be old, rare and near perfect to fetch a large sum of money (> $100).

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Not to start something that doesn't need started, but I suspect that Paul Frye (Ravens Relics) or Jon Dickinson (Prehistoric Artifacts) (the guys I regard as benchmark $ barometers) would come in on the low end of that spread.

Of course, they're not on Flea Bay . . .

Nice point, by the way !

FWIW

Last edited:

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Uni -
Jon Dickinson is at Prehistoric Artifacts not Miami Valley Artifacts:
BOTH are excellent online retailers. I visit them often to see top shelf, authentic artifacts and what they are selling for, although I am not a retail buyer.
I agree with your price comments!

Last edited:

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I should have pointed out from the beginning that I'm not an authenticator nor appraiser but just a guesser. Like many of you here, my education has been gained only from finding, handling, looking at and reading about thousands of artifacts over the years. I hardly ever look at online artifact prices any more. I did, however, take a peek at the sites you mentioned Mr. Bill. Since I'm the only one to throw any numbers out here, I'd love to see more estimates as to what anyone thinks the original poster's artifact may be worth.

Last edited:

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I watch Paul Frey's site regularly. (www.ravensrelics.com) He handles less-than-top shelf items more often than the aforementioned sellers. Very nice artifacts, just not $1000 Flintridge dovetails, etc. One variable here has not been specified: how long is the piece in question? Makes a difference if it's 2.5 inches or 4.5 inches! Maybe Arrow Head Newbie will send a photo of the blade next to a ruler for us.

Photo attached is of two pieces from Frey's online store priced at 2 for $65. Fair and reasonable. Assuming our piece here is about same length, I'd say $25 to $30 is about right! Maybe $20, maybe $35. For a NY collector who does not have a Normanskill, maybe a bit more. I haven't seen a whole lot of them come for sale.

I highly recommend www.ravensrelics.com. Interesting to see what comes up for sale and for what prices.

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I watch Paul Frey's site regularly. (www.ravensrelics.com) He handles less-than-top shelf items more often than the aforementioned sellers. Very nice artifacts, just not $1000 Flintridge dovetails, etc. One variable here has not been specified: how long is the piece in question? Makes a difference if it's 2.5 inches or 4.5 inches! Maybe Arrow Head Newbie will send a photo of the blade next to a ruler for us.

Photo attached is of two pieces from Frey's online store priced at 2 for $65. Fair and reasonable. Assuming our piece here is about same length, I'd say $25 to $30 is about right! Maybe $20, maybe $35. For a NY collector who does not have a Normanskill, maybe a bit more. I haven't seen a whole lot of them come for sale.

I highly recommend www.ravensrelics.com. Interesting to see what comes up for sale and for what prices.
Thank you. I also noticed that the dimensions were not given. I assumed the piece is approx. 2".

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
OA: FWIW, I've noticed that when JD is left with odds & ends like that one after the big money stuff is listed, he puts them up fire sale cheap. That's why I cited him.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Great looking point. Prices are hard to pin down, find the right local buyer and they might pay $30 for it. Put it in a pretty frame and someone who doesn't know better might pay $300 for it on eBay, or it might not sell for $10. But it's unlikely you'd get much more than a tank of gas and meal out of it if you sold it. Put the county, state, and date on it, and one of your grandkids years from now will think its the coolest thing ever.

A bit of a tangent, but one of the great things about our hobby is that almost everything is accessible if you really want it and there is a slim chance you can just find an example for free!

If you are on the buying side, and you want to collect vintage Ferrari, Chippendale Furniture, Chinese Jade, Old Paintings, etc. you'll need millions & millions to even get a decent piece. I collect Pre-Columbian material as well, and $100K pots aren't a surprising thing to see at auctions. The crowd doesn't clap or made audible sounds of amazement when the hammer drops on a $500K relic. Note, I am not buying any of those relics :(

I don't know of a single relic Native American relic that has sold for over $1 million. Absolutely World-Class examples of most types (birdstones, bannerstones, fluted points, Dovetails, etc.) can be had for the price of a new car. "G10" examples of most types of relic with documented history, pictured in old books can be had for less than $10K. That's a lot of money, but you can get a part time job at McDonald's and save for it in less than a year if you really want it. Or you can just dedicate a lot of weekends to finding them and build a great collection over years for the cost of gas money and worn out shoes/boots.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread