🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Unidentified coin (pretty bad condition) Help would be appreciated.

Fico

Tenderfoot
Oct 4, 2021
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 - Minelab
Hey guys and girls,

New guy here on the forum! Nice to meet you all :)

I went detecting today (southern Europe) for a few hours and stumbled upon a coin which is as you can see on the pictures in a pretty bad shape to say the least!
I'm having a hard time seeing anything at all here. And since I'm a beginner, I'm not so sure with what I could clean it a bit more (except distilled water, which didn't help), but seeing the state of it, I doubt there is anything I can do here haha.

On one side of the coin (visible in the picture) there is a small dark greenish 'bulge' and it sticks out a bit when looking from the coins side.

If anyone can make out anything of this I would be very grateful.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 20220127_175722.jpg
    20220127_175722.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 158
  • 20220127_173008.jpg
    20220127_173008.jpg
    891.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 20220127_175642.jpg
    20220127_175642.jpg
    930.1 KB · Views: 96
  • 20220127_175651.jpg
    20220127_175651.jpg
    855.5 KB · Views: 89

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could try lightly rubbing with a toothpick at a 30-45 degree angle and/or soaking in Vinegar. If you go the Vinegar route make sure you check it frequently like maybe every 5-10min at first. I've left some U.S coins soak in Vinegar for up to a week to get a date. I will usually follow up with a thin wipe of vaseline which helps fine details pop.

If the coin is copper like our U.S. large cent there is only so much you can do.... I have about a 50% luck rate on those.

** It should be noted that method is only used on coins that are in terrible shape to begin with. **

Upvote 1
OP
OP
F

Fico

Tenderfoot
Oct 4, 2021
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 - Minelab
You could try lightly rubbing with a toothpick at a 30-45 degree angle and/or soaking in Vinegar. If you go the Vinegar route make sure you check it frequently like maybe every 5-10min at first. I've left some U.S coins soak in Vinegar for up to a week to get a date. I will usually follow up with a thin wipe of vaseline which helps fine details pop.

If the coin is copper like our U.S. large cent there is only so much you can do.... I have about a 50% luck rate on those.

** It should be noted that method is only used on coins that are in terrible shape to begin with. **
Thank you for the tips Eman! I will most definetely try soaking it in vinegar and see what happens after.

Upvote 0

Sandflea

Greenie
Nov 27, 2012
Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys and girls,

New guy here on the forum! Nice to meet you all :)

I went detecting today (southern Europe) for a few hours and stumbled upon a coin which is as you can see on the pictures in a pretty bad shape to say the least!
I'm having a hard time seeing anything at all here. And since I'm a beginner, I'm not so sure with what I could clean it a bit more (except distilled water, which didn't help), but seeing the state of it, I doubt there is anything I can do here haha.

On one side of the coin (visible in the picture) there is a small dark greenish 'bulge' and it sticks out a bit when looking from the coins side.

If anyone can make out anything of this I would be very grateful.

Thank you in advance!
I would suggest soak in clear white vinegar for a few minutes, maybe 10-20, rinse with water and a toothbrush, hydrogen peroxide will clean a lot of debri out of the small groves. Also if you have one, an ultrasonic cleaner for jewelry does a pretty good job without compromising the integrity of the coin or metals.
Hope this helps you some.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
F

Fico

Tenderfoot
Oct 4, 2021
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 - Minelab
I would suggest soak in clear white vinegar for a few minutes, maybe 10-20, rinse with water and a toothbrush, hydrogen peroxide will clean a lot of debri out of the small groves. Also if you have one, an ultrasonic cleaner for jewelry does a pretty good job without compromising the integrity of the coin or metals.
Thank you! Will do :)

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The coin obviously is in very poor condition. Not much to see...

But based on your location, it could be an Ottoman Empire coin. Those are difficult for the Western eye to identify even when they are in good condition... We've seen them posted on this forum before.

Upvote 1

tangledweb

Jun 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a Lincoln 1909 vdb covered with spots of green corrosion. Put it in a solution of vinegar and baking soda for a few days. All the corrosion was gone, could read the vdb clearly and the patina was still there. It was like those green spots were never there.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
F

Fico

Tenderfoot
Oct 4, 2021
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 - Minelab
Thank you for all the tips and replies guys! :)

Upvote 0

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try taking a picture of it laying next to a dime on one side and a quarter on the other side close to it

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread