Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Both our work trucks broke down yesterday so basically got an unofficial work holiday today and when the going gets tough I go diggin! Found a foundation/well/cistern site at end of the day when I found the Chantecler chicken button around a month ago so I returned today to see what I could find with the detector. Thinking the site pics are cooler than the finds on this post but I'll let you be the judge. Copper pocketwatch cover , giant brass crude wingnut, native flake and fancy brass ring were finds of note. Watch on edge was silver dollar bazinga, oh well. Thinking someone coinshooted this spot already, noticable lack of high tones here but had fun picking through a couple mid-tones. Please enjoy the pics and have a great day. Club hunt on new permission Saturday, should be a good one!

Attachments

• well.JPG
    well.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 204
  • cistern1.JPG
    cistern1.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 76
  • site.JPG
    site.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0771.JPG
    IMG_0771.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0770.JPG
    IMG_0770.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0769.JPG
    IMG_0769.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0768.JPG
    IMG_0768.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0767.JPG
    IMG_0767.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0766.JPG
    IMG_0766.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0762.JPG
    IMG_0762.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0751.JPG
    IMG_0751.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 91
  • cistern2.JPG
    cistern2.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 79
  • cistern3.JPG
    cistern3.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 78
  • copper pocketwatch cover.JPG
    copper pocketwatch cover.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 72
  • curious brass ring with fancy.JPG
    curious brass ring with fancy.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 77
  • large crude brass wingnut.JPG
    large crude brass wingnut.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Upvote 19

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Both our work trucks broke down yesterday so basically got an unofficial work holiday today and when the going gets tough I go diggin! Found a foundation/well/cistern site at end of the day when I found the Chantecler chicken button around a month ago so I returned today to see what I could find with the detector. Thinking the site pics are cooler than the finds on this post but I'll let you be the judge. Copper pocketwatch cover , giant brass crude wingnut, native flake and fancy brass ring were finds of note. Watch on edge was silver dollar bazinga, oh well. Thinking someone coinshooted this spot already, noticable lack of high tones here but had fun picking through a couple mid-tones. Please enjoy the pics and have a great day. Club hunt on new permission Saturday, should be a good one!
great saves all around, wtg

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good day to Scrounge around the site.
That we'll to me = 🐍 den.🤣
Good eye on the worked piece.
Releventchair that's on the chat thread could probably date the Coleman tin.

OP
OP
R

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not sure why you have a picture of a full well, when you could dig it all out?
Just pure laziness here kind of a cherry picker to be honest Crusader, kind of find the iron pile and snipe it, move on to the next one. I know research, gridding, sifting, and thoroughness are the paths to ultimate success but i lack one of the greatest of human characteristics: Patience. I am working on it though :). Thanks for looking you post amazing stuff mate!

OP
OP
R

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good day to Scrounge around the site.
That we'll to me = 🐍 den.🤣
Good eye on the worked piece.
Releventchair that's on the chat thread could probably date the Coleman tin.
I don't think sometimes.... I just jumped in the cistern and in the middle of the fall I'm thinking 'I hope there isn't an inch of dirt on an old wooden well cover' but luckily it was solid ground! I do need to explore more treasurenet forums outside of daily finds (kinds where I live in here). Good people here, lots of great ideas!

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just pure laziness here kind of a cherry picker to be honest Crusader, kind of find the iron pile and snipe it, move on to the next one. I know research, gridding, sifting, and thoroughness are the paths to ultimate success but i lack one of the greatest of human characteristics: Patience. I am working on it though :). Thanks for looking you post amazing stuff mate!
I just think if I had the opportunity (& never have) to dig out a well, I would be all over it like a flash. If your allowed to do it & it's safe, you should reconsider before you move on. Even if there isn't great coins/metal finds, there is a good chance of some nice bottles.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a great looking site to detect SW. :thumbsup: Love the pics of the inside of the well and the buildings foundation stonework.
I have to agree with Cru about taking the opportunity to dig the well... I'd be be all over that like a fat kid on a Smartie! :laughing7:

Nice to be able to put a face to the name too.
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_0751-crop.JPG
    IMG_0751-crop.JPG
    310.3 KB · Views: 22

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice site and nice pictures .
PLEASE BE CAREFUL when entering those old wells Some times at the bottom of old wells and cisterns deadly gasses lay. I know of a few 10 to 20 years ago a person crawled in one and died there. Any thing that is confined can hold deadly things and gasses We have had people near where i live now die from entering a corn storage bin. PLEASE BE CAREFUL !!!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice post- great looking site, excellent pics and finds- Congrats!

OP
OP
R

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just think if I had the opportunity (& never have) to dig out a well, I would be all over it like a flash. If your allowed to do it & it's safe, you should reconsider before you move on. Even if there isn't great coins/metal finds, there is a good chance of some nice bottles.
Nice site and nice pictures .
PLEASE BE CAREFUL when entering those old wells Some times at the bottom of old wells and cisterns deadly gasses lay. I know of a few 10 to 20 years ago a person crawled in one and died there. Any thing that is confined can hold deadly things and gasses We have had people near where i live now die from entering a corn storage bin. PLEASE BE CAREFUL !!!
What a great looking site to detect SW. :thumbsup: Love the pics of the inside of the well and the buildings foundation stonework.
I have to agree with Cru about taking the opportunity to dig the well... I'd be be all over that like a fat kid on a Smartie! :laughing7:

Nice to be able to put a face to the name too.
Dave
Ah the well....so after Crusader suggested it I did poke around and for me to legally excavate this site i would have to apply for a special permit (the problem arises due to old mining laws so if I want to move more than one 5 gallon bucket of material per day it becomes complicated legally). Boils down to around 300 dollars to apply for a special permit and 6 months to a year of waiting and it may be denied flat out after all that so I'm going to walk away from this one but.......in November I go to Virginia for a couple of weeks and have a nice juicy 1700s well that may need attention. So good idea Crusader, thanks for warning Gare, and sorry you had to see my ugly mug antiquitarian..lol. Take care and happy digging yall!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah the well....so after Crusader suggested it I did poke around and for me to legally excavate this site i would have to apply for a special permit (the problem arises due to old mining laws so if I want to move more than one 5 gallon bucket of material per day it becomes complicated legally). Boils down to around 300 dollars to apply for a special permit and 6 months to a year of waiting and it may be denied flat out after all that so I'm going to walk away from this one but.......in November I go to Virginia for a couple of weeks and have a nice juicy 1700s well that may need attention. So good idea Crusader, thanks for warning Gare, and sorry you had to see my ugly mug antiquitarian..lol. Take care and happy digging yall!
OK, the permit thing might be more hassle than it's worth, not sure, but good luck whatever you decide.

OP
OP
R

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OK, the permit thing might be more hassle than it's worth, not sure, but good luck whatever you decide.
Thank you and good fortune. Wishing you amphoras full of Denarius' and such! You did get me thinking about bottle digging which I haven't done in ages so going to explore and site search tomorrow. Happy hunting.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you and good fortune. Wishing you amphoras full of Denarius' and such! You did get me thinking about bottle digging which I haven't done in ages so going to explore and site search tomorrow. Happy hunting.
Yes, I miss bottle digging, only had 1 good place to do a Victorian dump as a kid. It was massive and we all made holes taller than us.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread