Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Unknown find from 18th Century Homestead

My thoughts, a colonial shoe buckle. Very Nice! If verified, may be a BANNER item. :thumbsup:
DG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pjroo33

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Forgot I had even found it. It was pretty encrusted with dirt until I washed it off about an hour ago. Hoping it's a colonial shoe buckle. Would be my first.

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

plehbah said:
This is a beautiful example!

This one is really nice, I am going to let a Colonial enthusiast from back east break the news to you on this buckle.

That is great!

Agreed!

This is an awesome example of a 1600s - 1700s shoe, knee, or strap buckle based on my little bit of research.

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A Type V buckle from 1660-1720.

Would have been fitted with a folded sheet buckle plate (some of it visable under the rust), this would have rivited it to a strapend. Most likely a shoe or knee buckle :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pjroo33

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is awesome!! My good friend Ryan got permission for us to hunt a homestead outside of Philadelphia. I didn't have a whole lot of time because my wife just had our first child 2 weeks ago. My mother was in town to see the baby for a week and I got the wife's ok to head out for a couple hours. We spent maybe 2 hrs at the site. I found 2 Merc. Dimes 1929 and 1943. Nothing else except a couple clads and this buckle. Ryan pulled a 1816 Coronet Large Cent as our time was running out. Needless to say, I was scrambling at that point. He knows a lot of history of the area and said that the middle section of the house was built in the 1600's, and the section near where we were hunting had a date stone of 1752 (I think) might have been 1754. I found the buckle about halfway through the hunt and didn't give it a second thought. It was so dirt encrusted It was pretty unrecognizable. Got home and cleaned off the Mercs and started tending to the wife and baby. Today (7 days later), I decided to have a look at that "unknown" find that was still in my bag from the hunt. As I was washing off the dirt, I began to see some detail. Thats when I decided I'd better have some experts take a look.

How confident are we that it is a Type V buckle from 1660-1720?

If thats the case, it's my oldest find to date.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Upvote 0

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sounds to me like you had better go back and spend some time there! Value wise, I would not know. But it is without a doubt a museum quality item.
DG

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pjroo33 said:
That is awesome!! My good friend Ryan got permission for us to hunt a homestead outside of Philadelphia. I didn't have a whole lot of time because my wife just had our first child 2 weeks ago. My mother was in town to see the baby for a week and I got the wife's ok to head out for a couple hours. We spent maybe 2 hrs at the site. I found 2 Merc. Dimes 1929 and 1943. Nothing else except a couple clads and this buckle. Ryan pulled a 1816 Coronet Large Cent as our time was running out. Needless to say, I was scrambling at that point. He knows a lot of history of the area and said that the middle section of the house was built in the 1600's, and the section near where we were hunting had a date stone of 1752 (I think) might have been 1754. I found the buckle about halfway through the hunt and didn't give it a second thought. It was so dirt encrusted It was pretty unrecognizable. Got home and cleaned off the Mercs and started tending to the wife and baby. Today (7 days later), I decided to have a look at that "unknown" find that was still in my bag from the hunt. As I was washing off the dirt, I began to see some detail. Thats when I decided I'd better have some experts take a look.

How confident are we that it is a Type V buckle from 1660-1720?

If thats the case, it's my oldest find to date.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Very.

Upvote 0

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.

Very nice find..Keep up the search at the field, some were made of gold also.Goodluck to ya............relic

Attachments

• buckle_small.jpg
    buckle_small.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 516
Upvote 0
OP
OP
pjroo33

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Is there any value to a buckle like this? Is there a way to tell whether it is a knee or shoe buckle?

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pjroo33 said:
Is there any value to a buckle like this? Is there a way to tell whether it is a knee or shoe buckle?

Probably a knee buckle due to its size. not even the books can agree on this one. There are still somethings we might never know for sure :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread