Dignitup

Jan 17, 2008
Ackerman,MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure if i even have this posted in the right place or not but if anyone can help ID this i would be grateful. A friend of mine who just recently got started metal detecting found it with his detector. About six to eight inches deep and had a real high ring. It is 1 3/4 inches long and about 1 1/4 wide weighs 44.4 grams but is not magnetic. Through a magnifying glass it almost looks layered or encrusted and the metal on it is very hard. Any ideas? Picture 001.jpg Picture 002.jpg Picture 004.jpg Picture 003.jpg

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21 - 8" Coil - Tesoro Outlaw - 5", 8" & 10" Coils - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV with 8" Coil, Garrett Pro Pointer & Garmin Oregon 450 GPS.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From your description of it and how it was found, especially that it's not magnetic, makes it sound like a common "Hot Rock". If it is not magnetic, the chances of it being a meteorite, is less than 10%.

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like arsenopyrite.

arsenopyrite does not normally sound off on a metal detector

but in the motherload area of calif i have found hot arsenopyrite and after soaking in acid found it had a nice gold nugget at its core.
the old miners dumped it in the waste dump when they did not see gold.

never throw away any hot arsenopyrite found on mine dumps in the motherload area of calif

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread