🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Unmarked Vintage Something or Other with Odd Symbol(s)

Derk

Sep 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a tendency, whenever in a Goodwill store, to walk out with just about anything I see that has crazing. And apparently, I don't have to even know what it is. I'm a sucker for old stuff.

Like with this piece of pottery here. Not only don't I know whether its ceramic or something else, or if the glazing is brown drip, but I don't know what the peice even is or what its used for.

Could he a vase. Might be a pitcher...

But the real head scratcher for me is the strang way that some kind of symbol(s) are almost hidden by the pattern of the desighn.

Does anybody recognize that symbol at all? Could it be the maker's mark even though its so high up on the side?

The only other mark on the piece is like a "26" or "2G" on the bottom, where u typically would find a maker mark, but it looks more like it was written on with a sharpie.

Can anybody recognize what the piece actually is, how old it might be, and maybe who made it?
20220308_015028.jpg
20220308_015012.jpg
20220308_014955.jpg

20220304_151855.jpg
20220304_151532.jpg

Attachments

• 20220304_151458.jpg
    20220304_151458.jpg
    423.1 KB · Views: 81

gillious

Jul 17, 2015
Wayne County NY
Detector(s) used
2x Whites 5000d series 2, sears 5000d clone, 3x 6000di
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking maybe a cup or pitcher for a boat of some sort. The wide base helps stability in rough water conditions. Looks like a ships wheel on it.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
Derk

Derk

Sep 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking maybe a cup or pitcher for a boat of some sort. The wide base helps stability in rough water conditions. Looks like a ships wheel on it.
Ooh, I had not thought of that. It does seem like a nautical ships wheel as a whole. Could be.

Thanks for ur thoughts!

Upvote 2

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not for any food or drink use.

Its prolly about 50 years oldish... i say this due to glazing cracks.

Could be from some school pottery class project.

Upvote 1

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Not for any food or drink use.

Its prolly about 50 years oldish... i say this due to glazing cracks.

Could be from some school pottery class project.
Yea it's stoneware with a salt glaze

Salt-glaze or salt glaze pottery is pottery, usually stoneware, with a glaze of glossy, translucent and slightly orange-peel-like texture which was formed by throwing common salt into the kiln during the higher temperature part of the firing process.

Upvote 1

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea it's stoneware with a salt glaze

Salt-glaze or salt glaze pottery is pottery, usually stoneware, with a glaze of glossy, translucent and slightly orange-peel-like texture which was formed by throwing common salt into the kiln during the higher temperature part of the firing process.
I was referring to the glazing cracks... not the glaze... which in fact is not a salt glaze like you stated.

The posted item in question has a regular glazing.

Upvote 1

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was referring to the glazing cracks... not the glaze... which in fact is not a salt glaze like you stated.

The posted item in question has a regular glazing.
Ps... it is not for any food or drinking use... DUE TO the lack of glaze inside bottom as pictured.

This cannot be safely used due to bacteria breeding inside.

Perhaps this is a "pen and pencil" doohicky or some "trophy".. ?

To me... due to the shape of the base... i think this was Chinese made actually.

Upvote 1

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the 2G marking was made with a felt tip pen from the picture.Nice piece,whatever,I,d have picked it up.Put it on your desk and fill it full of doo dads!:laughing7:

Reactions: ARC
Upvote 1
OP
OP
Derk

Derk

Sep 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much, everyone, for sharing your input on this. I likely would have never identified what this is without your expertise(Special thanks to flinthunter).

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions