Unnamed Roman Site - Day 3 - Piece of Treasure...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We aimed to finish this site today but when we got home & plotted the last find, we still have about 5% of the scatter to finish next time.
At the start I predicted 100 Roman Coins from the whole Site, we are now on exactly 100. However, I expected at least 1 silver & that hasn't happened yet, kind of odd, like the lack of Roman Artefacts.:icon_scratch: (when so many big items have been turned up with the 12" plough)
OTWBTTC we took a big detour to see what was around on 'The Trackway Site', found tons of junk & I got a double holed Roman Coin, done in the 6th C by the Saxon's that migrated to this area along an old Roman Trackway. We will do this site over the Winter, along with 'The Hill' area.
4 hours 45 mins;

28 Roman Coins
17th C? Button (type I've not seen)
Lead Token
Neolithic Flint
14th C Medieval Buckle
13th C Pewter Annular Buckle
Frag of a Late Roman Silver Pyramid Ring (Probably a child's & was influenced by the Egyptians) - TREASURE (Reportable under the Act)

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG

Upvote 29

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We aimed to finish this site today but when we got home & plotted the last find, we still have about 5% of the scatter to finish next time.
At the start I predicted 100 Roman Coins from the whole Site, we are now on exactly 100. However, I expected at least 1 silver & that hasn't happened yet, kind of odd, like the lack of Roman Artefacts.:icon_scratch: (when so many big items have been turned up with the 12" plough)
OTWBTTC we took a big detour to see what was around on 'The Trackway Site', found tons of junk & I got a double holed Roman Coin, done in the 6th C by the Saxon's that migrated to this area along an old Roman Trackway. We will do this site over the Winter, along with 'The Hill' area.
4 hours 45 mins;

28 Roman Coins
Lead Token
Neolithic Flint
14th C Medieval Buckle
Frag of a Late Roman Silver Pyramid Ring (Probably a child's & was influenced by the Egyptians) - TREASURE (Reportable under the Act)

View attachment 2053239 View attachment 2053240 View attachment 2053241 View attachment 2053242 View attachment 2053243 View attachment 2053244 View attachment 2053245
I am always impressed by your finds. It is evident that you are a true historian. I’m sure you’ve had to answer this before, but (if you don’t mind), would you please walk us through the process of determining what is considered treasure in the UK. How is it reported? What percentage (roughly) must be surrendered, and in what manner are you compensated when it is determined to be ”museum worthy”? Where I live in Florida, there are very inconsistent city, county, and state ordinances and laws determining what is considered of historic value and must be surrendered for permanent government preservation.

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4 hours 45 mins;

28 Roman Coins
Lead Token
Neolithic Flint
14th C Medieval Buckle

View attachment 2053239 View attachment 2053240 View attachment 2053241 View attachment 2053242 View attachment 2053243 View attachment 2053244 View attachment 2053245
Cru', love the neolithic flint... fragment of the children's pyramid ring is very cool...your recoveries and the history that goes with them are never dull.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am always impressed by your finds. It is evident that you are a true historian. I’m sure you’ve had to answer this before, but (if you don’t mind), would you please walk us through the process of determining what is considered treasure in the UK. How is it reported? What percentage (roughly) must be surrendered, and in what manner are you compensated when it is determined to be ”museum worthy”? Where I live in Florida, there are very inconsistent city, county, and state ordinances and laws determining what is considered of historic value and must be surrendered for permanent government preservation.
In short the terms of the 1996 Treasure Act describe 'Treasure' as any object (not a single coin) that is over 300 years old with 10% gold or silver content. (there are a few other exceptions)
In practice we report it to the County Find Liaison Officer (who then notifies the Coroner), but the Law requires us to Report it to the Coroner within 14 days.
We report less than 1% of our total finds per year, of those few items 4 in 5 get returned, 1 in 5 the Museum acquire them at market value. Win/Win every time.
The local Museums & the British Museum have first refusal & express an interest or not.

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In short the terms of the 1996 Treasure Act describe 'Treasure' as any object (not a single coin) that is over 300 years old with 10% gold or silver content. (there are a few other exceptions)
In practice we report it to the County Find Liaison Officer (who then notifies the Coroner), but the Law requires us to Report it to the Coroner within 14 days.
We report less than 1% of our total finds per year, of those few items 4 in 5 get returned, 1 in 5 the Museum acquire them at market value. Win/Win every time.
The local Museums & the British Museum have first refusal & express an interest or not.
Thank you so much for the reply. I am, of course, looking forward to your next post! I can only hope that one of my finds will be displayed in a museum for future generations. You are a genuine inspiration!

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
4 hours 45 mins;

28 Roman Coins
Lead Token
Neolithic Flint
14th C Medieval Buckle

4 hours 45 mins;

28 Roman Coins
Lead Token
Neolithic Flint
14th C Medieval Buckle

Crusader those all are certainly great finds. I especially love that double holed coin and flint. Congratulations!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lovely flint!
Well done on the treasure piece.
Query: The "double holed Roman Coin, done in the 6th C by the Saxon's that migrated to this area"
Reasons - Was it a form of "touching money"?

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lovely flint!
Well done on the treasure piece.
Query: The "double holed Roman Coin, done in the 6th C by the Saxon's that migrated to this area"
Reasons - Was it a form of "touching money"?
My theory is; that after the Roman Monetary System collapsed in AD410, they probably carried on for awhile, but without a central taxation system, it was then only barter that functioned. Meaning, that individuals decided the worth of the coin. Many probably preferring other goods instead. Silver & Gold will always hold their value in crisis but small change bronze coins probably started to be worth more as jewellery than barter. They turn up in Saxon graves, including the kids.
You can really feel the smoothness & years of wear, & I pictured the better side, the reverse is near blank.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4 hours 45 mins;

28 Roman Coins
Lead Token
Neolithic Flint
14th C Medieval Buckle

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing flint! I visited Grimes Graves once, that mine dated approx. 6500 BC.
I'm not very good at dating flints, so my 'Neolithic' guess could be way off....:dontknow:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
4 hours 45 mins;

28 Roman Coins
Lead Token
Neolithic Flint
14th C Medieval Buckle

Congrats!

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
4 hours 45 mins;

28 Roman Coins
Lead Token
Neolithic Flint
14th C Medieval Buckle

Well done

river roamer

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2022
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II Excalibur 1000 Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Once again..Very impressive finds:icon_thumleft::icon_thumright: Congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread