Unusual 3 tine fork from a cooper's shop

cellerfeller

May 15, 2019
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have been detecting at a barrell cooper's shop site recently that was shown on an 1872 map. We found a barrell adze, an offset stave axe - and this really odd little 3 tine fork.
It had a collar that would fit over the handle and was forged with a hole in the spike end that had a little square nail in it. The tines are only 4 1/2" long and they don't seem to be worn short - that appears to be the original size. I have dug a lot of hoes, forks and shovels over the years but this one is unique. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the design/use? Total length is 11" Inside diameter of the collar ring is 1 3/8, width of the fork is 4 5/8".

Attachments

• cooper shop fork 001.jpg
    cooper shop fork 001.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 87
  • cooper shop fork 002.jpg
    cooper shop fork 002.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 50
  • cooper shop fork 003.jpg
    cooper shop fork 003.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 79
  • cooper shop fork 004.jpg
    cooper shop fork 004.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 42

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's an old one for sure , I'd restore it and put it to work. I used mine this evening to dig a few spring onions . it's a hand fork , used when you're down on the ground . Not how I dig potato's , I use a long handle turning fork for that. download (4).jpg

I would put on a new handle and put it to work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not a froe. On those the handle attaches at one end perpendicular to the blade. That's a cooper broad axe for smoothing the staves and inside of barrels.

337665_1200x.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread