Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I detected another 'hunted out' cellar hole dating back to late 1780s and was used briefly as a camp after the incident at Dranesville during the civil war and found a few targets amongst the rubbish. The interesting find is the dropped 58 caliber roundball right next to an unusual period object that at first I thought resembled the thermocouple off a furnace but then it hit me that it looked like a gun brush. After some research I believe what I have based on other things found in proximity on this hunt and previous is that this is a carbine cleaning brush from the US Civil war. Was a fun two hour hunt but ran out of time, thank you for looking!

P.S.- In my haste to post yesterday I incorrectly said I dug a 'lead saw tag' which is actually heavy brass, thanks for catching that fellow TH'ers!

Attachments

• overgrown.JPG
    overgrown.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 137
  • not good sign.JPG
    not good sign.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 54
  • iron giving me the finger.JPG
    iron giving me the finger.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 54
  • horseshoe.JPG
    horseshoe.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 49
  • wasted pewter.JPG
    wasted pewter.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 46
  • roundness in hole.JPG
    roundness in hole.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 46
  • not a dandy button.JPG
    not a dandy button.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 48
  • 58 cal musketball.JPG
    58 cal musketball.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 54
  • carbine brush.JPG
    carbine brush.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1458.JPG
    IMG_1458.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 61
  • nondug example brush.jpg
    nondug example brush.jpg
    678.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1457.JPG
    IMG_1457.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 56
Upvote 12

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detected another 'hunted out' cellar hole dating back to late 1780s and was used briefly as a camp after the incident at Dranesville during the civil war and found a few targets amongst the rubbish. The interesting find is the dropped 58 caliber roundball right next to an unusual period object that at first I thought resembled the thermocouple off a furnace but then it hit me that it looked like a gun brush. After some research I believe what I have based on other things found in proximity on this hunt and previous is that this is a carbine cleaning brush from the US Civil war. Was a fun two hour hunt but ran out of time, thank you for looking!

P.S.- In my haste to post yesterday I incorrectly said I dug a 'lead saw tag' which is actually heavy brass, thanks for catching that fellow TH'ers!
That is amazing! I have never seen one of those before! Congratulations!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very Cool!!! Congrats!!

OP
OP
R

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is amazing! I have never seen one of those before! Congratulations!
Much appreciated, I dug some broken brass knuckles a few years ago and not realizing they were a period artifact I scrapped the brass (still kicking myself, I assumed they were modern trash) so am scared to throw away anything I cannot immediately identify. An old gunbrush is no gold coin but still think its pretty neat, thanks for looking!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's always good to go back to a hard hit site and to dig a few more targets, and getting something that is different as the brush cleaner, well done.

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice bunch of finds!

Top Member Reactions